Des O'Connor RIP

I saw him on a show which was a tribute to the Palladium a few weeks back and he looked really frail [as does Michael Parkinson coincidentally] as you say an all round entertainer . He will be remembered eternally as the stooge for Morecambe and Wise but he loved it [they were good friends] and I recall him being interviewed and there was a series when he wasn't mentioned in a routine and he was upset that he wasn't . Like so many older generations he learnt his trade the hard way . A sad loss .

Who remembers our very own Russ Abbott's Hamlet advert where he plays a Des record whilst fishing and they all jump into the net. Another stalwart of the stage sadly gone.
I remember that very well, one of the best laughs I've ever had. A lot of the insults hurled at Des by Morecambe & Wise were wrote by Des himself. He was certainly the happiest man I have had the pleasure of meeting. There will be an exceptionally new bright star in the heavens tonight. R.I.P. Des. Your smile will never be forgotten.

As said, an entertainer. He entertained.

A singer, a gameshow host.

A very good talk show host. Would make his interviewees relaxed, which made the interview relaxed and joyous for all.

A comedy too. His work with Morecambe and Wise and Jack Douglas was priceless.

Once again, another legend gone.

Back