dads army know its not our show but you might find this interesting.

chris

Dedicated Member
The other Sunday morning along with two of my mates we went to Launton Oxfordshire only half an hour from home to see an exhibition by a group of reinactors that portray Launton Home Guard.The uniforms were correct the vehicles were two jeeps and a Bedford one tonner and a Matchless motor bike.In the hall they had a machine gun a demo of bomb disposal and a display of weapons and WW2 efemara.But most importantly they knew their history and could explain it a good way.There enthusiasim came over in the same way we have for our show and they like us continue to find out more.Outside the hall a couple of the lads were stood on guard,so I asked them if they were going to show us how a road block was set up just imagine the reaction of todays motorists! Think I might go over to their next meeting as I am going to do a talk to our U3A Military History Group so want more info .They said that many of the incedents in Dads Army were true so giving more gravitas to the show.I watch all the episodes as often as I can just as I watch LOTSW at every chance.

Am I the only person who never found Dads Army funny. Along with Morecombe and wise. Totally unfunny. I know there are generations who love it. If I have offended any Army fans I am sorry but I am just expressing a view

I don't think you are alone Amos , even the BBC bosses weren't sure about it both before and during its early broadcasts it was only the persistence of their blue-eyed boy of the time David Croft that it survived . My own personal view is that it was screened just long enough after the war had ended not to cause offence but also to draw the interest of people who had lived during those times and could relate to the Home Guard albeit in an exaggerated manner. I don't think its belly laugh humour but for a few instances, however its not only gentle humour that can be watched by children to grandparents but clearly there are slapstick moments which don't need words to make all sorts of people laugh.

Like Morecambe and Wise it was first aired when we only had terrestrial TV so there was limited choice , I do think tradition played a big part in people watching M&W the Christmas episodes were a never to be missed occasion , met with anticipation and don't forget with limited TV and the popularity of the show the opposition channels basically submitted because they new they could not match the success. I was mystified how the Breakfast sketch won the best ever M&W moment ever because the idea is great but the content is pretty much telegraphed without whereas the Andre Previn sketch is anything but .

With Dad's Army its not just about comedy there is pathos even in the opening titles when James Beck was so sadly taken early in his life they re-shot the sequence to deliberately leave a gap where he previously appeared . The contrast between the pompous but struggling to attain position of Mainwaring and the silver spoon upbringing of Wilson , the episode where Godfrey admits to being a Conscientious Objector and Mainwaring basically castigates him as it goes against all his principles only to find he served in World War One and won the Military Medal causing the whole platoon to eat humble pie . All of this and more adds to what Dad's Army is about as a show and why it is so popular.

I have always been a big fan of both Dads Army and M & W. I am fortunate to live close to the Dads Army Museum in Thetford Norfolk and a member. Its growing popularity every year proves that successive generations find the programme both funny and entertaining. If any of you are ever in the area it is well worth a visit. Always check opening times before you set off.

Am I the only person who never found Dads Army funny. Along with Morecombe and wise. Totally unfunny. I know there are generations who love it. If I have offended any Army fans I am sorry but I am just expressing a view

Don`t PANIC Amos I am sure there is someone else some where.:42:

Hello HJ,

I am determined to make it there one day I have seen shots of the Captain Mainwaring statue but does the Museum have Jones's Van on exhibit after it had a "trip out" to Yorkshire for the Dad's Army film or is it ow at a different location ?

Hello HJ,

I am determined to make it there one day I have seen shots of the Captain Mainwaring statue but does the Museum have Jones's Van on exhibit after it had a "trip out" to Yorkshire for the Dad's Army film or is it ow at a different location ?

Yes it does have the van which is at the Burrell museum just up the road from the DA Museum. Both venues are free to enter. The statue is very good and you can sit next to him and of course have your photo taken.

Thank you for the information HJ now the hard bit how to get there . I haven't looked but I'm on a three day charabanc trip to Great Yarmouth next month how far are we talking to Thetford?

About 50 miles from GY I am afraid Captain. A bit to far to walk I think.

Too much of an opportunity to miss think I will work on a way to try and get there , thank you for the information I will of course check the Museum opening times however even if they are not open its such an iconic place like Holmfirth et al its worth making the effort let you know how I get on.

The van in that awful new film,not sure if it was the original the body did not look long enough and I doubt any one would want to download the film perhaps tp bury it yes.

It was the original van Chris. I can`t pass comment on the film I have not seen it yet, not sure I want to, as I think I will keep comparing it with the original cast. I have not seen a remake of any film yet that I thought was better than the original.

It was the original van Chris. I can`t pass comment on the film I have not seen it yet, not sure I want to, as I think I will keep comparing it with the original cast. I have not seen a remake of any film yet that I thought was better than the original.

Agree; I have not seen the film as the original is still available. I have the full set of DVDS (sorry Amo -but one of my personal favourites, however each to their own)...

Back