Cricket and the Ashes

Peripheral

Dedicated Member
I know that cricket is not tops with a lot of people but something happened yesterday that I cannot resist making note of. England has not been doing so well in the batting stakes recently so they dropped one of their batsmen. Yesterday, England made a paltry 67 runs all out in about a half-day:fp:. That's about three hours. Last night, the batsman they had dropped from the team, scored 85 runs in about 90 minutes. That's almost 20 runs more than the rest of England's batting might put together. OH, the batsman who was dropped, Moeen Ali. We all know who should be dropped from the team. Who do you think should go?:13:

I think a match over 5 days should go and just play 1 day limited over matches that are far more entertaining! We could have best of 5 test matches in each venue.

I don't understand Cricket. How can a batsman that has been dropped from the team still score runs?

Stop torturing me !!:frown2: The whole side needs a re-vamp.!:46:...………………………..Roger, Moeen Ali was playing for his local team last night in a T20 match. Less pressure than being in a match for his country !:fp:

I can't resist telling you this. A South American sportsman was given permission to sit in on one of Englands training sessions. He wanted to learn the rudiments of the game to take back to his own country in South America with the hopes of forming their own National Cricket Team. The coach stood in front of the English team, a ball in one hand and a bat in the other hand. he held up the ball and said, "BALL, BALL". He then held up the bat and said "BAT BAT". Then he knocked the bat with the ball and said "HIT HIT". At this point, the South American gentleman said, "Excuse me interrupting coach, but you don't have to talk like that, I do speak perfect English". At this point the coach looked at him and said, "I know you do sir, but I wasn't talking to you". :29::D:29:

I'm a big cricket fan Peri, Moeen had to be dropped his form for England was awful. But what an incredible game today!!!!! I'm in my mid forties and I've never seen such an exciting days test cricket, not sure whether you have?

Hi Barry, Sir Ian Botham once did a very similar thing. A video was made about that called 'Botham's Ashes'. As for Moeen Ali being dropped, why is Jason Roy still in the team? He should go. :17:

I'm just about old enough to remember Bothams Ashes (and to be fair it should be Botham & Willis's Ashes!) but I feel what we saw yesterday surpassed it. I totally agree about Roy, like many cricketers he cannot get his head out of limited overs mode. However we're hardly awash with opening batsmen to take his place. Moeen may be playing good first class cricket but I just don't think he's presently up to the pressure of England cricket, and besides which he doesn't like to be the front line spinner which doesn't help his cause....

Once again England are in a bit of trouble. They are struggling to avoid the follow on. Meanwhile, what is the player who they dropped, Moeen Ali, doing? He just casually scored 121 not out in just over one hour last night. The team selectors couldn't pick their noses let alone a cricket team. Some of 'em are very good BUT!!!!!!

Can I be controversial and disagree with you! Englands problems are at the opening end of the order. Moeen may be able to perform against a lower calibre of opposition, when the pressure is off. However he seems to consistently struggle on the big stage, couple with that, he doesn't want to be the front line bowler with Jack Leach playing ok, I don't think there is much chance of him getting selected. I feel the problem is, players want to play in 1 day mode not the patient test method which is very sad for the game. Just an opinion and your views are just as valid as mine as we're all friend on here!! :18:

Because I'm American, I don't understand cricket at all, and neither do most of my fellow citizens. That lack of understanding is so profound that when the local newspaper discovered that on Sundays, weather permitting, the Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi and Sri Lankan scientists who worked at the Corning Incorporated research center gathered to play cricket on the playing field next to the parking lot, they sent a reporter and a photographer to write a feature for the sports section the next day. The news element was not that people from chronically warring countries could happily play together, that was no surprise because they worked together productively every day, but that cricket was played anywhere on American soil.

Because I'm American, I don't understand cricket at all, and neither do most of my fellow citizens. That lack of understanding is so profound that when the local newspaper discovered that on Sundays, weather permitting, the Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi and Sri Lankan scientists who worked at the Corning Incorporated research center gathered to play cricket on the playing field next to the parking lot, they sent a reporter and a photographer to write a feature for the sports section the next day. The news element was not that people from chronically warring countries could happily play together, that was no surprise because they worked together productively every day, but that cricket was played anywhere on American soil.
I sometimes am inclined to listen to what an American once said about cricket "how can a game which lasts 5 days end in a draw!?" but it's so quintessentially English I can understand why non-Commenwealth countries think we're mad playing it! :D:D:D

Can I be controversial and disagree with you! Englands problems are at the opening end of the order. Moeen may be able to perform against a lower calibre of opposition, when the pressure is off. However he seems to consistently struggle on the big stage, couple with that, he doesn't want to be the front line bowler with Jack Leach playing ok, I don't think there is much chance of him getting selected. I feel the problem is, players want to play in 1 day mode not the patient test method which is very sad for the game. Just an opinion and your views are just as valid as mine as we're all friend on here!! :18:
You do have some good points there Barry. Moeen has proved himself in the past but did hit a bad patch. He seems to be through that now. Some players, however, are constantly below par but keep getting selected. Do you think that England are capable of batting through today in order to force a draw? I'll bet you a Mars Bar to a toffee apple they don't do it. They can't rely on Ben Stokes to rescue us every time. I'll be happy to lose a Mars Bar.:D

You do have some good points there Barry. Moeen has proved himself in the past but did hit a bad patch. He seems to be through that now. Some players, however, are constantly below par but keep getting selected. Do you think that England are capable of batting through today in order to force a draw? I'll bet you a Mars Bar to a toffee apple they don't do it. They can't rely on Ben Stokes to rescue us every time. I'll be happy to lose a Mars Bar.:D
I totally agree we're never going to save the Ashes, I was in Antigua in February watching England and I was amazed the West Indies beat us bearing in mind they're 8th or 9th in the Test rankings! I'm not sure what the answer is to be honest, but I suspect there will be pressure on Joe Root after this.....
We need a few Geoffrey Boycott style batsmen!!!!!

Back