Coughs - and remedies

I think I saw it on tv or a film ,this man ate a raw onion every day :-\ He had n't many friends but he never had a cold. ;D ;D

Never had many friends cause no one would approach him with the smell of onions. LOL

LOOOOOOOOL! But a bit awkward to suck on.

Sorry barmpot, we´re going off topic. I hope your cough is better! Of course I mean, YOU are better, not the cough (though you probably had enough practice by now to also cough better...). Oh dear. Entangled in language again ::) ;D.

Sorry barmpot, we´re going off topic. I hope your cough is better! Of course I mean, YOU are better, not the cough (though you probably had enough practice by now to also cough better...). Oh dear. Entangled in language again ::) ;D.

I was struck by another English language anomaly today - initiated as usual by my paper's quick crossword. Two, to me, totally differnt meanings of the word "rest":
1. Rest, as in relax.
2. Rest, as in remainder.
On reflection and after resting, I suppose the remainder is called "the rest" because the bit that is not the rest is being employed actively whilst the reaminder is simply allowed to rest. Ever wish you had not started something?

LOOOOOOOOL! But a bit awkward to suck on.

but that **** is exactly what is so endearing about our discussions, how we wander way off the original topic. Probably comes from too much listening to Clegg and co ...

yes my cough is finely honed now - at its peak! So no more medication (in the end I found straight paracetamol worked best - I had the cough lojg enough to try out experiments on the efficacy of different treatment regimes) but a perfectly formed cough!!!

I was struck by another English language anomaly today - initiated as usual by my paper's quick crossword. Two, to me, totally different meanings of the word "rest":
1. Rest, as in relax.
On reflection and after resting, I suppose the remainder is called "the rest" because the bit that is not the rest is being employed actively whilst the reaminder is simply allowed to rest. Ever wish you had not started something?

But not to be confused with a book rest! Which is a support. Unless I use the phrase "we rest on thee" which implies reliance rather than just support.

Big U - you have started something!!!

I was struck by another English language anomaly today - initiated as usual by my paper's quick crossword. Two, to me, totally differnt meanings of the word "rest":
1. Rest, as in relax.
Sounds just like one of Cleggy's ramblings when the other two look at him and his voice just gives out(I'll go and stand over there shall I?? :-[)

But not to be confused with a book rest! Which is a support. Unless I use the phrase "we rest on thee" which implies reliance rather than just support.

Big U - you have started something!!!

To tune "Finlandia".

I figure it something to do with verb "to rest" being both transitive and intransitive or not as the case may be.

And how come we spell "speech" with "ee" but speak (surely from same root) with "ea". Mind, long term conundrum for me has always been Four, Fourteen, and Forty.

And snooker rests.

Oh, Finlandia! Great tune. Of course many hymns are derived from bigger musical works. Finlandia always reminds me of school as the tuneless but enthusiastic orchestra bravely attempted to play this old piece. Failed, but a brave attempt, nevertheless. My Mother was the organist in our chapel for 55 years and so whenever we travelled through Wales we were constantly singing hymn tunes as so many of them are named for villages and towns in this area.

Oh, Finlandia! Great tune. Of course many hymns are derived from bigger musical works. Finlandia always reminds me of school as the tuneless but enthusiastic orchestra bravely attempted to play this old piece. Failed, but a brave attempt, nevertheless. My Mother was the organist in our chapel for 55 years and so whenever we travelled through Wales we were constantly singing hymn tunes as so many of them are named for villages and towns in this area.
Must have been very uplifting ;D

You may note from my avatar that I occasionally have graced the keyboard of an organ ... not often these days as I may be elsewhere ....

Back