Corgi. Dinky or Matchbox also Tonka

Amos Hames 2

Dedicated Member
Which was your toy car maker of choice. I think most of mine were Matchbox Superfast or Corgi. I cought the tail end of Dinky in the late 70s. Also Tonka. Had a big yellow crane. Plus has anyone still any boxes cos they can fetch money

Tonka toys were great. We used to play in the sand hills for hours with them as kids. Pretty indestructible.
Like you say Corgi, Matchbox and Dinky and I seem to remember Hot Wheels were pretty popular. I still have a few old cars knocking about plus I few new ones I have picked up at car boot sales - Jones van from Dad’s Army, Greengrass Heartbeat van etc.

I used to have a pretty nice Matchbox collection and I had all the boxes. Alas, a military collector fancied them and I ended up swapping them for a confederate sword for my collection..

In the mid 60's for a short time I worked for Die cast machine Tools, who made machines for Lone Star products, my job was to solder 100 way connectors that controlled these large stamping machines, on several occasions I went to the factory in Hatfield, I recall on the production lines were toy cars and other 4 wheel models, also a lot of toy guns and I think small aircraft, it seems these days some of their products are collectible and have some crazy prices paid for them

I had many of each brand but sadly none remain . I can recall now how excited I was to get the James Bond car with the ejector seat on its release to coincide with the early Bond films .

I also recall as we lived adjacent to a small wooded area that my friends and I would take a bag of cars to and dig out tracks in the mud to play various games and scenarios, for example recreating replays of the war conflicts using the military vehicles we had .

I understand that there are valuable models out there made even more valuable if they were kept in the original box and remain unplayed with but honestly what's the point of that !!

bond.jpg

Last edited:
On the subject of cars, there is a company called Carvolution who draw pictures of all the cars you've ever owned. I got this for my dad a few years back and he loves his. It's a pretty cool thing to have on your wall to remind you of all the cars you've owned...

These aren't his cars BTW it's just from their website :p

Screenshot 2023-10-27 at 15.21.41.png
Screenshot 2023-10-27 at 15.24.56.png

That's cool! Is the yellow car on the 2nd picture a TVR Cerbera? I always wanted one of them. I have a larger size model of an Aston DB11 but the wing mirrors keep falling off! I've attached a picture of my 'entire' toy car collection :)
View attachment 6699
The yellow one is a Dodge Viper Barry. It is similar to the TVR. This is another display, these are all Nascar stockcars from the 80's/90's

Attachments

• 395575390_7582280171789154_7723982129180502581_n.jpg
    395575390_7582280171789154_7723982129180502581_n.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 9
The yellow one is a Dodge Viper Barry. It is similar to the TVR. This is another display, these are all Nascar stockcars from the 80's/90's
Of course, I recall those back in the day, from memory they had a massive engine in them. You have quite an eclectic collection there, I'm liking the Ferraris best probably the F40!

These are better because they’re all made from recycled hardwood

Attachments

• IMG_0706.jpeg
    IMG_0706.jpeg
    91.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0705.jpeg
    IMG_0705.jpeg
    104.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0704.jpeg
    IMG_0704.jpeg
    93.7 KB · Views: 5
Back