Computer Scam..Beware

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
Some of you will know about this,but I thought I would mention it for anyone who is not aware.....

You get a phone call,they say the are someone for either Microsoft ,BT, Virgin Media etc
They tell you that you have serious issues with your computer and they will help
They will talk you through installing remote access software
They then have control of your computer
Any personal data can then be transferred to them,so they could have bank and credit card details, your address book etc etc
They then want anything up to £150 to fix the problem, which there is no problem,they can install virus type software to disable your computer and hold you to ransom
Either way it will cost a few bob to fix
This scam has been doing the rounds for some time, it seemed as if they had gone away,but even today I had a call from a neighbour who had been targeted by these people,they often have an Indian accent with a very English name, they even have the nerve to give you a number to call them back on,normally starting with 0208,but this could end up anywhere in the world
So be very careful

Some of you will know about this,but I thought I would mention it for anyone who is not aware.....

You get a phone call,they say the are someone for either Microsoft ,BT, Virgin Media etc
They tell you that you have serious issues with your computer and they will help
They will talk you through installing remote access software
They then have control of your computer
Any personal data can then be transferred to them,so they could have bank and credit card details, your address book etc etc
They then want anything up to £150 to fix the problem, which there is no problem,they can install virus type software to disable your computer and hold you to ransom
Either way it will cost a few bob to fix
This scam has been doing the rounds for some time, it seemed as if they had gone away,but even today I had a call from a neighbour who had been targeted by these people,they often have an Indian accent with a very English name, they even have the nerve to give you a number to call them back on,normally starting with 0208,but this could end up anywhere in the world
So be very careful

Yep - well said. They are the fraudsters I would like a very big loud whistle for - deafen them before slamming down the phone.

My sister in law had one a few days ago has did a friend of her's my sister in law already know about this scam going round so she just put the phone down however her friend had not hurd about it and was bemused to be told her computer had problems!! She asked him how it could be fix and he told her what he could do for her, at the end of the conversaion she asked him where she could locate this computer I think that through him a little and he asked where did she usually keep it to which she replied I don't know I've never had one!!

I have had a couple of these phone calls, and I had heard of them,and I can honestly say, that my language would of shamed a navvy.
I felt much better afterwards though.

Have I spelt navvy right!!!

Back