Computer Problems

Beth

Dedicated Member
I have Norton security and have no virus but it is running slow. I have some "registry" errors that is showing by companies that want me to purchase. One is called ScanGuard and the other is PCPro. Have any of you ever heard of these companies and PC Healthboost.

Shouldn't there be something free that should clear these "registry" errors up? ???

Beth who is your internet supplier? I just bypass Norton that came with the computer and my internet provider which is Charter(the devil) has a good security system. Also since they are provider, it is FREE.!

I have Microsoft Security Essentials which is a freebie .Does a fairly good job .If my son gets hold of my PC he likes to run C Cleaner (another freebie) but it wipes my passwords as well. Ticks me off no end. >:( >:(

I am Dick, but my computer is sluggish as well. When I post it takes awhile for it to process. :(

I have an HP and Norton came with my computer but my computer is still sluggish. I will check the help line. Thanks all!

There are at least two separate probs here.

If it's that your posts take longer, that's more likely a slowdown
in your internet speeds, not your PC.

If your PC is processing slower, it's very likely that you have
too many programs starting up and running. Many programs
when installed set themselves up to autostart when Windows starts.`
You sometimes need to patrol the Registry, or Start/Run/MSCONFIG
to see what's autostarting. Most stuff should not autostart.

There are at least two separate probs here.

Many programs
when installed set themselves up to autostart when Windows starts.`
You sometimes need to patrol the Registry, or Start/Run/MSCONFIG
to see what's autostarting. Most stuff should not autostart.
Everything is working great now, but I have adopted an extra toolbar that is part of my start up which I don't want. I'll check that out with your info. Thanks. :)

I don't like Norton, it came with my laptop too and we had a hell of a job getting rid of it. I have AVG an it works well.
Also be careful when you update Flash Player and the like as sometimes that try's update other things I have to keep unticking stuff then I'm updating them on my desk top.

Sure are, I left the husband unattended a few weeks ago and he pressed to undate Flash player ( He had see me do it a few times so thought he knew what he was doing ::)) but he didn't untick the Norton button ::). Took me ages to work out what he'd done wrong!! Men who'd have um ?? :me:

Sadly all major retailers recommend Norton or McAfee mainly because if you sign up with them they get a good kickback,same with PC makers they do the same,and previously mentioned getting rid of these can be hard work.
I have had lot of experience of users using free anti virus packages that miss most of the nuisance maleware ,which if nothing else will slow you machine down to a crawl,you can remove these free using malwarebytes followed by ccleaner

Personally for the last 7 years I have used Eset home security which cost money but it does not hog machine resources and I have not had any malware or viruses get into my computers, you get what you pay for

Terry

I fully agree with you Terry, both Norton and McAfee hog resources remorselessly! First thing I do when a customer brings me their new machine is to un-install the unwanted pre-installed garbage and hey presto, the machine runs at the speed they were designed to do.

The other problem I notice is that if you are installing something else often McAfee is an "optional" extra which you have to click to avoid being added! So I had both products (Norton and McAfee) simultaneously on one machine!

I used Eset and that was fine for me.

Back