Computer problems

amos hames

Dedicated Member
Yet again i am suffering problems with my pc with pages freezing and messages saying this page is not reponding and cannot find server.This gets frustrating at times mabye i need to get a new pc my one is about seven years old. :)

I had that problem a few years ago with pages freezing. But alas the life of a computer is about 5 to 6 years old. It is time for a decent burial and the purchase of a new one. Not much more you can do about it. I had 6 months of patience with pages freezing until I couldn't take anymore. Good Luck. Don't take it for repairs as it might cost you more..

Yet again i am suffering problems with my pc with pages freezing and messages saying this page is not reponding and cannot find server.This gets frustrating at times mabye i need to get a new pc my one is about seven years old. :)

What web browser do you use, is your recycle bin full of junk and need empting,have you defragged the hard disc lately

Try flushing your DNS cache also. You may wish to look into something such as CCleaer also, is will keep your PC junk free and it's also free!

What web browser do you use, is your recycle bin full of junk and need empting,have you defragged the hard disc lately

Just cleared loads of toot from recycle box seems ok this evening

As i am have major computer problems i have had to post this by mobile phone if this upsets anyone sorry but it is the only way i can post at the mo.my mobile broardband keeps saying cannot establish a connection.my settings are correct and my dongle is connected but it just refuses to work.so untill i sort it i will be posting less

Are you leaving the computer on 24/7 ??? Maybe it is overloaded. Too many files that you rarely use.

Are you leaving the computer on 24/7 ??? Maybe it is overloaded. Too many files that you rarely use.

Not 24/7 but at the weekend i do tend to leave it on all day.I am thinking of getting a new computer anyway as my Dell is about seven years old now any suggestions on a make that are good.At the moment it has come back just as the heavy rain and wind stops.Strange that is.

My computer is about 3 years old and is Hewlet Packard. It's great, never had a moments trouble with the thing.

Here in the States, I buy my computers from a charity
auction site. ShopGoodwill.com. Mostly Dells.

But I keep ALL my source files, whether installation
files or documents, on a D: or higher drive. Only thing
on C: is Windows and other executables.

So several times a year I FORMAT C: and reinstall
Windows and all the apps. Then link the apps to the
documents and files on D: and above. So I mostly have
a fresh machine several times a year, which tends to clean
up the crud that would otherwise accumulate.

Not 24/7 but at the weekend i do tend to leave it on all day.I am thinking of getting a new computer anyway as my Dell is about seven years old now any suggestions on a make that are good.At the moment it has come back just as the heavy rain and wind stops.Strange that is.

Mine is Acer laptop which I had for the past 5 years and so far no problems..

I suggest this is optimum. It is not the PC which is at fault but the software and how you use it. The technique here is great if you have the discipline to use it. Only thing you have to watch is preservation of the apps which came preinstalled on your machine for which you do not have CDs. Great if you took a backup disk at start of your time with the machine.

Big Unc, I find that more and more install files are available
off the internet, either from the originator's site,
the PC manufacturers site, or some third party site.

For example, if you have a Dell, you can get Dell install discs
from all sorts of places with various levels of Windows XP
(my preferred op sys). So many of my often-used apps
(DVDShrink, DVDdecrypter, EditPad, PaintShopPro, UTorrent,
COREFTP, etc are available online for free. I keep others
like Nero on DVDs as backup.

Big Unc, I find that more and more install files are available
off the internet, either from the originator's site,
the PC manufacturers site, or some third party site.

For example, if you have a Dell, you can get Dell install discs
from all sorts of places with various levels of Windows XP
(my preferred op sys). So many of my often-used apps
(DVDShrink, DVDdecrypter, EditPad, PaintShopPro, UTorrent,
COREFTP, etc are available online for free. I keep others
like Nero on DVDs as backup.

Many thanks for that. Keeping the PC software installation "clean" is undoubtedly the way to maintain a ruuning system. Relaoding the operating system from scratch is necessary from time to time. Very little to do do with the PC itself and the hardware. any failure there will probably be catastrophic.

I agree that any data that is important to you keep away from C: drive, this means all your documents, photos, music etc, I use thunderbird for my e-mail client and store all the mail on another drive,so when I reload windows every 6 or so months and reinstall thunderbird a quick mod to the ini file and all my mail is back along with all the settings.

Trouble is these days most software is really big and bloatware, even some of the updates would take days to download if we were all still using dial-up for our internet connection, Windows and other software rely on internet to get things working these days,not often now do you get a install disc when you buy something that connects to the computer, it needs a internet connection to get the drivers along with the manual or user guide.

I have a laptop that I have installed windows 8 to try it out, ideally any machine running it would have a touch screen, there is a lack of apps at the moment but you can still use it in the desktop format and install most things as you did before, but it is pushing everything to cloud based storage and I am not sure about that,what happens when the cloud storage crashes and you lose everything or worse gets hacked and your data gets in the wrong hands

I do worry about Windows 8 (also 7) because I have a huge
mound of older, still useful applications that will/may not
run on versions after XP. So we have about 6 household
computers all running XP PRO SP3, many hidden away in
case a PC dies. If we ever run out of those we have, not
sure what I am going to do.

Hi cciaffone

I use windows 7 and a virtual machine for the XP games of my son.
I have a copy of that XP machine on my hard disk.
Whenever it is too slow I replace it with a fresh copy.
A virtual machine is a computer-simulator, just like a train- or flight- simulator...
It simulates a computer.

You run for instance vmware player on your windows 7/8 and inside that software you install a version of XP.

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/free#desktop_end_user_computing/vmware_player/5_0

But oracle has virtual Box: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/virtualbox/downloads/index.html#vbox

A virtual machine is a computer-simulator, just like a train- or flight- simulator...
It simulates a computer.

Yes thanks. Having worked on TSS/360, TSO, VM 360,
VM/370, OS/2 TCPIP, several firewalls, etc. I do catch
on to the Virtual Machine (see that ... VM) concept.

I would just like to stick with an OpSys that runs ALL my
applications and supports ALL my hardware. For me XP Pro
does that in spades. AND I get it for free on my DELL
install disks.

Back