Compo's sandwich

I am just about to go and make a cheese ,red pepper,spring onion and Branson pickle sandwich with butter (lots of it!) on both bits of bread.Bacon sarnies are the best with brown sauce a dash of Sarsons vinegar plus of course butter on bread of course even better is a bacon and sausage sarnie! I happily have at least two sarnies a day and sometimes a toasted sandwich bacon preferably.I hope all of you from across the pond come here and experience a proper sandwich one day.:29::21:

Chris sounds like you have an art to making the perfect sarnie, will look you up if I ever make it over there!! Will take you up on that!:42:

Speaking of Cheese sarnies. We here in the states have American Cheese, swiss, provalone, pepperjack, and many others in the specialty section. What kind of cheese would you use when making a cheese sarnie? :hungry:

I use to have american cheese, mayo and mustard on white bread. That was my favorite as a kid. :12: Haven't had in decades.

Speaking of Cheese sarnies. We here in the states have American Cheese, swiss, provalone, pepperjack, and many others in the specialty section. What kind of cheese would you use when making a cheese sarnie? :hungry:

I use to have american cheese, mayo and mustard on white bread. That was my favorite as a kid. :12: Haven't had in decades.

I like Red Leicester or Cathedral City, you get great cheese from Scotland, Orkney cheese is lovely.

I think its supposed to be an exaggeration but to be honest I have seen such sandwiches for real. Some people, usually men, like what we call "Door Steps" so I think its a mixture of exaggeration and a door step.

I do wish that people hadn`t brought up the whole `door step/door stop sandwich` thing in this thread.

The debate over which one should be used and in what region of the U.K. could bring this forum to its knees. :)

I do wish that people hadn`t brought up the whole `door step/door stop sandwich` thing in this thread.

The debate over which one should be used and in what region of the U.K. could bring this forum to its knees. :)

We're made of sterner stuff :16: We're safe so long as we don't get them started on which sauce to use on a bacon buttie. Which is red of cause!!!

We're made of sterner stuff :16: We're safe so long as we don't get them started on which sauce to use on a bacon buttie. Which is red of cause!!!

Just to be different I like H P brown on mine!! :me: :wink: :wink:

I see we done a real Topsy here on this thread whilst I wasn't looking. Some great thoughts from near and far.

I am a great cheese lover and have very wide tastes. But somehow, to me, the cheese for a sandwich is always Cheddar, the stronger tasting (Vintage or Extra Mature) the better. With it I add Branston Pickle or a tincture of English Mustard. If I am really letting myself go, I will butter both slices of bread (New Zealand Anchor) but that is not essential. I very, very rarely eat white bread and much prefer wholemeal - maybe the occasional white roll.

On occasion I will indulge in a Danish Blue cheese sandwich but, in general, I much prefer cheeses with biscuits for cheese and not bread.

It is maybe a great shame for the village of Cheddar that the cheese became so widespread before the creation of the status of Protected Designation of Origin (PDO) within the European Union. Also a great pity for the cheese itself as it means its quality can be a great variable and some vey inferior cheese is landed on the market calling itself Cheddar. However, I note:

"However, only cheddar produced from local milk within four counties of South West England, may use the name "West Country Farmhouse Cheddar". Cheddar produced in Orkney is registered as protected geographical indication (PGI) under the name "Orkney Scottish Island Cheddar"."

I think I already advised some time ago that in my many and frequent visits across the pond I struggled to find a cheese with a deep enough flavour for my taste. In particular, Cheddar produced in the States always seemed to be lacking in flavour. Have not been there in over ten years now so I expect things have changed. I hope that by now one can also get real English mustard and really powerful Horseradish sauce.

I see we done a real Topsy here on this thread whilst I wasn't looking. Some great thoughts from near and far.

I am a great cheese lover and have very wide tastes. But somehow, to me, the cheese for a sandwich is always Cheddar, the stronger tasting (Vintage or Extra Mature) the better. With it I add Branston Pickle or a tincture of English Mustard. If I am really letting myself go, I will butter both slices of bread (New Zealand Anchor) but that is not essential. I very, very rarely eat white bread and much prefer wholemeal - maybe the occasional white roll.

On occasion I will indulge in a Danish Blue cheese sandwich but, in general, I much prefer cheeses with biscuits for cheese and not bread.

It is maybe a great shame for the village of Cheddar that the cheese became so widespread before the creation of the status of Protected Designation of Origin (PDO) within the European Union. Also a great pity for the cheese itself as it means its quality can be a great variable and some vey inferior cheese is landed on the market calling itself Cheddar. However, I note:

"However, only cheddar produced from local milk within four counties of South West England, may use the name "West Country Farmhouse Cheddar". Cheddar produced in Orkney is registered as protected geographical indication (PGI) under the name "Orkney Scottish Island Cheddar"."

I think I already advised some time ago that in my many and frequent visits across the pond I struggled to find a cheese with a deep enough flavour for my taste. In particular, Cheddar produced in the States always seemed to be lacking in flavour. Have not been there in over ten years now so I expect things have changed. I hope that by now one can also get real English mustard and really powerful Horseradish sauce.

Branston Pickle is of course far superior than any other. When we went to Cheddar Gorge we stocked up it really is the best.

And on the general subject of food, has anyone indulged in this Serrano Ham offer currently available from Lidl? Serrano Ham can have a great flavour and I wondered on the quality of this Lidl version. I have a problem with Lidl in that we do not have one of their stores here so I have to go at least ten miles to get to one (and I hesitate anyway to venture into darkest Kirkcaldy or darkest Alloa - even if Robert Fyfe came from there).

:32:

And on the general subject of food, has anyone indulged in this Serrano Ham offer currently available from Lidl? Serrano Ham can have a great flavour and I wondered on the quality of this Lidl version. I have a problem with Lidl in that we do not have one of their stores here so I have to go at least ten miles to get to one (and I hesitate anyway to venture into darkest Kirkcaldy or darkest Alloa - even if Robert Fyfe came from there).

:32:

If the Aldi version is anything to go by I wouldn't bother :25:

Much as I like good cheese, I'm not willing to give up travel to the UK in order to afford the price of it from the English import section of my local (US) supermarket. As I result, when at home I eat the store brand of extra sharp cheddar with quite a lot of mustard to give it some flavor, and when in the UK, if I have to choose just one cheese per meal, I alternate whatever's local with Stilton. I also have a lot of pub lunches, usually ordering a plowman's, thoroughly enjoying the generous servings of two different cheeses.

Much as I like good cheese, I'm not willing to give up travel to the UK in order to afford the price of it from the English import section of my local (US) supermarket. As I result, when at home I eat the store brand of extra sharp cheddar with quite a lot of mustard to give it some flavor, and when in the UK, if I have to choose just one cheese per meal, I alternate whatever's local with Stilton. I also have a lot of pub lunches, usually ordering a plowman's, thoroughly enjoying the generous servings of two different cheeses.

Just out of idle curiosity, on average how much are the imports over there?
I've heard a few of our American cousins say they buy British imports. (Food wise)

The only sauce for bacon or sausage sarnies is Branston brown I used to be an HP man but they changed the recipe and stopped making it here in the UK so by by HP Agree that Cheddar is the only cheese for sandwiches.have tried others but always come back to the main man.:17:

Just out of idle curiosity, on average how much are the imports over there? I've heard a few of our American cousins say they buy British imports. (Food wise)

My local supermarket carries Cropwell Bishop Blue Stilton, but they don't display the price on their web site and I tend to hurry through the imported cheese department with my eyes averted, so I haven't paid attention to it lately. The online price from the only source I can find in a hurry runs about $21.98/lb., exclusive of shipping. Compare to the store brand extra sharp cheddar @ $3.40/lb.

Marianna

My local supermarket carries Cropwell Bishop Blue Stilton, but they don't display the price on their web site and I tend to hurry through the imported cheese department with my eyes averted, so I haven't paid attention to it lately. The online price from the only source I can find in a hurry runs about $21.98/lb., exclusive of shipping. Compare to the store brand extra sharp cheddar @ $3.40/lb.

Marianna

Thats about £13 a lb! Wow. Its about £2.50 per pound here.

Back