Compo's hands

Maggie Jones

Dedicated Member
I can't remember the name of the episode I recently watched, but it was where Compo got paid by Howard to create a distraction in his house where they were all watching a video that Howard thought would incriminate him. Anyway at the end of the episode the 3 are seen having a drink outside the pub and Compo pulls out his ferret from his jacket. The hands appear to be someone else's as they look as if they belong to a younger person and are certainly more dextrous than Compo's appeared in the series. Any thoughts - perhaps they were the hands of the ferret 'handler'!

You are not wrong Maggie, I cannot say for certain but Bill Owen (Compo) had Depuytens Contracture in which some of his fingers were gradually bent into the palms of his hands. He managed most things but the hand that held the ferret was normal. The episode was CAMERA SHY .

You are not wrong Maggie, I cannot say for certain but Bill Owen (Compo) had Depuytens Contracture in which some of his fingers were gradually bent into the palms of his hands. He managed most things but the hand that held the ferret was normal. The episode was CAMERA SHY .
Thanks Dick. I thought the hands looked younger.

I remember reading somewhere that he hated ferrets and wouldn't consider handling one. Another reason, besides a lack of dexterity, to put the ferret in someone else's hands.

I can't 'like' your post either Marianna but I can quite believe what you said. A neighbour of mine kept ferrets and I didn't find them the cuddliest or sweetest of pets!

They hired a ferret wrangler to deal with the ferrets. Bill Owen wouldn't touch them.

Saw soem the other day at Otley - it was a ferret race ... did not strike me as very friendly looking. Thinking of Richard Whiteley ...

I too have an issue with likes so please accept a collective like for all the posts so far . In the context of all things ferret look at the problems they caused Barry when one bit his finger and then the danger he found himself in whilst delivering the ferrets to Reggie Unsworth . Quite often on the bus I use to commute to Newcastle a lady gets on with ferret on a lead for which presumably she pays the same fare as you would a dog .

monday11.jpg We used to keep ferrets when the kids were little, The male hob was a huge soppy docile beast who used to go to sleep up my jumper. The smaller female gill was a right nippy little sod. She bit me on the neck once and wouldn't let go, a bit like someone grabbing hold of you with a pair of pliers!

Back