Compo's Clan

George

Super Moderator
We know Gordon and Chip were Compo's relatives but he seemed to have a huge extended family.Every series there seemed to be one or two other relatives mentioned.
Anyone think of any?

How about "my little cousin, Big Eric"?
From "The man from Oswestry" and "Going to Gordons Wedding".

G ; )

Wasn´t there a Harold who went swimming in some river in America in Cheering up Gordon (or was it the Bathroom Caper?), and a Walter who was mentioned in Isometrics at the beginning when they collapse on the grass? I hope I got the names right. And what does it actually mean when somebody says "our Walter" or "our Glenda" or something, does "our" mean they belong to the family? I find that funny.

And what does it actually mean when somebody says "our Walter" or "our Glenda" or something, does "our" mean they belong to the family? I find that funny.

I guess it does generally mean a member of the family. The slightly amusing one is "our kid" - usually assigned to the eldest son. So it is not unknown for younger siblings to refer to their elder brother as "our kid".

Thank you, Big Unc, that helps! I have always wondered who that was supposed to be, "our kid"! I find it also pretty amusing to talk to somebody like that, for example like Edie saying "Stop that, our Glenda!"

Thank you, Big Unc, that helps! I have always wondered who that was supposed to be, "our kid"! I find it also pretty amusing to talk to somebody like that, for example like Edie saying "Stop that, our Glenda!"

yes I too found that slightly unusual when I first moved to Yorkshire in the mid 1970s from the south of England. In thsoe days there were more 'thee' and 'thou' in every day speech as well.

One thing I did find slighrtly disconceting was to be called 'love' by the conductor on the bus in Leeds - it was a generic term for anyone you met. I recall a colleague's father calling me 'Rodney love'.

However 'our kid' was also used of a younger brother by some one I knew in Leeds: but he also referred to rhubarb as 'tusky' .....

One thing I did find slighrtly disconceting was to be called 'love' by the conductor on the bus in Leeds - it was a generic term for anyone you met. I recall a colleague's father calling me 'Rodney love'.

Ha, as a Lancashire lad, who moved to North Wales in the late 80's, the times i've nearly had a "thick ear" for calling people "love", i couldn't say.
To me, that's how i was brought up in the 50's and beyond but of course you have to be aware of other cultures, such as the Welsh, who tend to take a step or two back if you let it slip and wonder if you "bat" for the same team (are you gay).

Same with phrases such as "our lass" etc.
My ex, who was from a little Yorkshire village called Cowling, just north of Keighley, used to call her younger siblings "Kidda", which i found quite strange, even though i only lived some ten miles or so south of Cowling, in the Rossendale valley.
As they say "there's nowt no queerer than folks".

G ; )

Didnt he have an auntie Connie who was famous for keeping a canary for gas leaks and called out the gas board everytime the poor little blighter fell asleep :D
There was also a cousin()iirc) from whom he borrowd that messenger bike with the squeaky wheel in "Waistland"but i cant remember his name

I think our kid was used to refer to a younger or youngest boy of a family over here.Love was quite often used when talking to a female but it seems many women now dont care for it and i dont here it so often.I am more likely to hear" Dear" particularly from older women.

Hector

Didnt he have an auntie Connie who was famous for keeping a canary for gas leaks and called out the gas board everytime the poor little blighter fell asleep :D
There was also a cousin()iirc) from whom he borrowd that messenger bike with the squeaky wheel in "Waistland"but i cant remember his name

I think our kid was used to refer to a younger or youngest boy of a family over here.Love was quite often used when talking to a female but it seems many women now dont care for it and i dont here it so often.I am more likely to hear" Dear" particularly from older women.

Hector
Here we are again Hector, in NOTTS as I once before posted somewhere we use "me duck", if you use this in Exeter you may get a sore nose! In NOTTS its accepted as friendly particularly close to Nottingham. So far I have called the fairer sex dear, love, or pet and(touch wood )only been reprimanded twice.

I find that quite sweet that you call complete strangers such things, especially females. We don´t over here usually. We used to do a bit of that decades ago, but not really. It always feels nice and warm when someone addresses me like that when I´m in England. At the beginning I wondered what it was supposed to mean, I wasn´t sure if it was offensive in some way or just kind. But considering that Peter also addresses me like that, I found out pretty quickly it´s meant to be friendly ;). All these subtle little differences, very interesting. But I´m off topic here.

Compo also had an Auntie Ruby who lived and died in Cooper Street.

and didn't he have a sister? I think she was Gordon's mum. Although in
FOTSW no mention is made of a sister.

I enjoy the earlier episodes with Compo's family, from Pate and Chips to Cheering Up Gordon. Actually I just came home and the recording of Going to Gordon's Wedding is waiting for me.

Just curious, is there any reason why there are numerous appearances for Compo's family when I believe there aren't any for Foggy, Seymour, Blamire, or Truly, and just a couple of Cousin Aubrey appearances for Clegg?

I enjoy the earlier episodes with Compo's family, from Pate and Chips to Cheering Up Gordon. Actually I just came home and the recording of Going to Gordon's Wedding is waiting for me.

Just curious, is there any reason why there are numerous appearances for Compo's family when I believe there aren't any for Foggy, Seymour, Blamire, or Truly, and just a couple of Cousin Aubrey appearances for Clegg?

Edie, Wesley and Glenda were Seymours family.

Totally forgot. How absent minded of me. We Wesley, Edie, and Glenda brought in at the same time as Seymour or afterwards? I take it they were so popular that after Michael Aldridge left, they kept the family around. What a nice addition they made to the show!

Totally forgot. How absent minded of me. We Wesley, Edie, and Glenda brought in at the same time as Seymour or afterwards? I take it they were so popular that after Michael Aldridge left, they kept the family around. What a nice addition they made to the show!

Wesley first in series 6 as a one off. He reappeared in The Loxley Lozenge. Edie and Glenda appeared with Seymour in Uncle of the Bride.
They were firmly established suppport characters by the time Michael left the show.

The only times i can remember any mention of Foggy's family were, Cleggy, was reading the letter from Blamire in, The Man from Oswestry and they had either died or moved away leaving him the house in Arnold Cresent.Then there was the uncle who left him the egg decorating business in Bridlington.

Hector

Back