Compo Stinkonite!

Barrychuckle

Administrator
Staff member
Strange subject I know! but I've always wondered just how whiffy Compo would have been and why it wasn't referenced more. He always used to wear the same tatty clothes and he just threw them over the long johns he wore in bed.

Without putting too finer point on it, this would have undoubtedly given him a 'unique aroma'. I'm sure this was loosely referenced in the odd episode but I'm surprised more comedic effect wasn't made of this. I can't imagine Ivy would have put up with this for any length of time in her cafe.....

Now we know he had his powerful aftershave...BICEPS !!!!!...[dead masculine apparently !!!!]....BUT....I feel he could have introduced his own special fragrance....it could be called "EAU DE CHEIN MORT"......or in plain Yorkshire terminology...."SCENT'O'DEAD DOG".......
I think he should have been taken to a farm out in the hills by Wesley....and SHEEP DIPPED !!!!.
X!

Now we know he had his powerful aftershave...BICEPS !!!!!...[dead masculine apparently !!!!]....BUT....I feel he could have introduced his own special fragrance....it could be called "EAU DE CHEIN MORT"......or in plain Yorkshire terminology...."SCENT'O'DEAD DOG".......
I think he should have been taken to a farm out in the hills by Wesley....and SHEEP DIPPED !!!!.
X!

Lol Keith. Now there's an episode I would love to have seen: Compo gets sheep dipped.

Strange subject I know! but I've always wondered just how whiffy Compo would have been and why it wasn't referenced more. He always used to wear the same tatty clothes and he just threw them over the long johns he wore in bed.

Without putting too finer point on it, this would have undoubtedly given him a 'unique aroma'. I'm sure this was loosely referenced in the odd episode but I'm surprised more comedic effect wasn't made of this. I can't imagine Ivy would have put up with this for any length of time in her cafe.....

I've always assumed that the main part of Compo's lack of hygiene was overembellished by the other two; otherwise I can't really see them, or others, sticking around him for too long. I'm pretty sure he washed more regularly than he let on -- at least in the vital areas, anyway. Lol

His feet, however, are another thing. They were the butt of most jokes and were one area where he obviously did not wash regularly.

A conceptual exhibit but...you can (sort of) see in one of the pictures of this article where he would have had a laundry/wash wringer setup.

You'd think Roy Clarke would have used the bit of the script from Open All Hours when the Nurse and Arkwright go to the wedding and his suit has been in the wardrobe with mothballs so the Nurse makes him hang the jacket and then the trousers out of the car window . It would have been perfect with Compo you could have had his jacket and trousers out of the Land Rover window with Compo sitting solemn in the cab in his Long Johns protesting he's "Chuffing freezing" .

As they go along the road various things fall from the jacket pockets as he didn't empty them [opportunities are endless of what could fall out and the accompanying dismay and anger from Compo] . Then bits of the jacket and trousers disintegrate so at journeys end he's left with a pair of shorts that are full of holes and the sleeve of the jacket .

I imagine this was a Foggy episode so Compo threatens him and Wesley has to take them to Aunties for Foggy to buy Compo a new jacket and trousers , Cleggy of course gets fleeced for something he doesn't want from the shop.

The closing scene as the credits and Music roll could show them retracing their route with the Land Rover stopping every few yards with the trio jumping out looking for what dropped out of his pockets . You could see Foggy pick up something really disgusting , showing Compo who says " That's not mine but I'll have it anyway"

You'd think Roy Clarke would have used the bit of the script from Open All Hours when the Nurse and Arkwright go to the wedding and his suit has been in the wardrobe with mothballs so the Nurse makes him hang the jacket and then the trousers out of the car window . It would have been perfect with Compo you could have had his jacket and trousers out of the Land Rover window with Compo sitting solemn in the cab in his Long Johns protesting he's "Chuffing freezing" .

As they go along the road various things fall from the jacket pockets as he didn't empty them [opportunities are endless of what could fall out and the accompanying dismay and anger from Compo] . Then bits of the jacket and trousers disintegrate so at journeys end he's left with a pair of shorts that are full of holes and the sleeve of the jacket .

I imagine this was a Foggy episode so Compo threatens him and Wesley has to take them to Aunties for Foggy to buy Compo a new jacket and trousers , Cleggy of course gets fleeced for something he doesn't want from the shop.

The closing scene as the credits and Music roll could show them retracing their route with the Land Rover stopping every few yards with the trio jumping out looking for what dropped out of his pockets . You could see Foggy pick up something really disgusting , showing Compo who says " That's not mine but I'll have it anyway"
They could have used that scene in the episode where he is cut out of the bed and falls into the sewer. I think it was The Sweet Smell of Excess.

Back