Compo saved up his best insults for Foggy and Seymour

I agree with you cw he always insulted Foggy with long dollop or long prong or always a girls name

He did not seem to swear at Seymour as much, often he would refer to Foggy as a pillock, and more often than not Seymour would smile at Compo when he insulted him.
I think Seymour treat him as an overgrown naughty schoolboy.

I wonder if Bill Owen meant some of the insults thrown at Brian Wilde. A friend of the family worked on the show and said that the two seemed to have a simmering hate for one another.

He did not seem to swear at Seymour as much, often he would refer to Foggy as a pillock, and more often than not Seymour would smile at Compo when he insulted him.

I wonder if Bill Owen meant some of the insults thrown at Brian Wilde. A friend of the family worked on the show and said that the two seemed to have a simmering hate for one another.

was this even duringhis second stint because I heard that both had mellowed a bit then and although Foggy and Compo still insulted each other at least twice in every show, there were times when the characters had a lot more scenes together, sometimes JUST them (like when Clegg went to park that car in "Empire" for example) and if theey hated each other as much, I think that there would have been at least a third person there

and also they seemed to be talking more rather than insulting - the scene where Foggy meets Compo coming out of the betting shom and tries to understand rather than insults springs to mind. I know we are talking about the actors here but surely if that much resentment was still simmering between the pair, they wouldnt have had themm in so many scenes just the two of them?

was this even duringhis second stint because I heard that both had mellowed a bit then and although Foggy and Compo still insulted each other at least twice in every show, there were times when the characters had a lot more scenes together, sometimes JUST them (like when Clegg went to park that car in "Empire" for example) and if theey hated each other as much, I think that there would have been at least a third person there

Oh, so YOU know better than someone who worked on the set and also told me what an inverted snob Brian Wilde was. I shall bow to your superior knowledge.

and also they seemed to be talking more rather than insulting - the scene where Foggy meets Compo coming out of the betting shom and tries to understand rather than insults springs to mind. I know we are talking about the actors here but surely if that much resentment was still simmering between the pair, they wouldnt have had themm in so many scenes just the two of them?

That's why it is called 'acting'.

Oh, so YOU know better than someone who worked on the set and also told me what an inverted snob Brian Wilde was. I shall bow to your superior knowledge.

I have just looked at my post and i didn't see the wordd even there when i wrote it - i think what must have happened was that I must have been typing on facebook at the time and I got confused - I gwenuinely meant it as a question and i wasnt sure whether the situation had relaxed a little bit in the second stint. I wasn;t being rude, it was a genuine equiry. Also, Im aware that acting is what it's called but sometimes, I have read interviews even with some actors who have not got along who said that thy found it incredibly difficult to act with a particular colleague, due to clash of personalities and that is whty they werent in many scenes alone - this was years ago mind.

Once again, I apologise for any offense I may have caused as they were genuine enquiruies

Once again, I apologise for any offense I may have caused as they were genuine enquiruies

Hi Pauline, As I read your recent posts allow me to confirm there isn't anything wrong with them. We all make simple type-o's when posting here.

I just think someone was crudely over-reacting to your harmless inquiries. Don't let that discourage you from future postings.

Even according to the Summer Wine book written by Vine, I believe (it's at home not in front of me), in the book he writes of Bill Owen keeping to himself setting himself in a chair away from the other 2 men on the show. According to the book, Bill rather fancied himself the big star of the show and the main reason people tuned in. I can tell you the main reason I tuned in when I first discovered the show was to see Foggy. I also liked Seymour, but Foggy was my favorite. I never would have thought that Bill had such a high opinion of himself from watching him and his Compo character but this is what people who knew the situation said. To be fair, they also said Wilde could be difficult to get along with, sometime refusing to do scenes he thought weren't right. But heck, if I was an actor playing a character I knew was going to live on for the ages, I would too refuse to do scenes I didn't think appropriate for the character. I don't see anything wrong with that. Anyway, I most certainly wasn't there and I have no real way of knowing the whole and real truth. The only people who could tell you are now dead or are 90 and not talking. I can tell you I was very surprised to read about all the behind the scenes activity, jealousies, back fighting, disappointments in billing, disappointments in who didn't get airtime that week, etc. etc. As someone who only watched the series coming to it late at that and never read of any of this stuff I was very surprised. I always kind of assumed the actors acted much like their characters. Surprised to read how Bill was very well dressed in real life, I thought he was as sloppy as Compo. At any rate, reading books like this does spoil things a bit. I like to think they all got along well and were happy with each other much like their characters. But as someone said, "that's why they call it acting". As for offending, I think it's the new favorite past-time. People just sit around and wait for their glorious moment to be "offended". I say to all that are offended the same thing that is expected of me, "GET OVER IT".

Back