Compo Lipsinking.

Pearl

Administrator
Staff member
I have noticed on several episodes now that when Compo (Bill Owen) is facing another actor saying his lines that he sometimes mouths them too, I assume he's just waiting for his turn to speak but I've noticed it a few times now, it doesn't distract me for the great show but I think when you have watch it so many times that you start to notice things you wouldn't ordinarily notice.

Has anyone else noticed this or anything else others may not notice?

I don't think anything could distract me from watching and enjoying it. :)

I think your eyes wonder more when you've watch something has many times has I've watch it, I find that I notice alot of things going on in the background it just adds to it really because you something differant every time.

I have noticed on several episodes now that when Compo (Bill Owen) is facing another actor saying his lines that he sometimes mouths them too, I assume he's just waiting for his turn to speak but I've noticed it a few times now, it doesn't distract me for the great show but I think when you have watch it so many times that you start to notice things you wouldn't ordinarily notice.

Has anyone else noticed this or anything else others may not notice?

It could be to do with the fact they only use one camera for filming,and depending on the shot i.e Compo is looking at Cleggy and Cleggy gets a line from Compo,the next shot is face on to Compo where he speaks his line,so the camera has reset for this shot, it is on when watching them film,sometimes just one person is saying a lot to camera,and it will be all the dialogue for close ups

I have noticed that too, Susan! I know people who have the same habit, to mouth while they are listening. If you pay attention to it, it starts to annoy you, but I try not to pay any attention.

Now, that's something I've not noticed, I have to admit.
Can you give a couple of episodes where you've seen this (and ideally, in what scene). I'll keep a lookout for it !

The one I saw today, Treasures of the Deep when Compo and Seymour are standing on the bridge talking about how the treasure ended up in the water.

I had an old friend who not only lip synched but more often than not, finished your sentences for you . :D Irritated me at first but I realised that he did not mean anything so learned to say nothing about it except "thats right or you've got it " and other similar things. ;)

The one I saw today, Treasures of the Deep when Compo and Seymour are standing on the bridge talking about how the treasure ended up in the water.

I am going to watch that again at the weekend must admit i have never noticed it :)

I have never experienced actors in SW lipsinking, but will keep my lip open. ;D

This is slightly off topic, but has anyone noticed that in some of the outdoor scenes that they all sound like they are talking in a trashcan?

This is slightly off topic, but has anyone noticed that in some of the outdoor scenes that they all sound like they are talking in a trashcan?

Yes, i've noticed it a few times, sounds like a reverb effect, very odd!

G ; )

I suspect it could be to do with the audience recording. The episodes are played in front of an audience and recorded with the original sound still running in the background I think, so the acoustics in the auditorium may be the cause for the trash can effect. We should try to find out if it only happens in scenes where there are audience noises. When it doesn´t sound like a trash can, it´s perhaps the original audio track that they could use in those places where no laughing occurred.

Back