Cleggy

Mudanzas

Anybody know why Cleggy's character had a personality change after the first few episodes. He was a much "harder, stronger character than the gentler, timid one portrayed now. Would be ineresting to hear Peter Sallis' views on this if anybody has ever heard him say anything on the matter.

I think it was just a case of the character developing over the duration of the series.He said in his book that he played himself and didn't have to act.

I have heard Peter Sallis say something about the matter when I met him in March. He said he doesn´t think Cleggy has changed over the years, but maybe he has forgotten about the beginning. He had forgotten about Clegg´s late wife as well, I suppose it´s just too long ago.
But you are right, I noticed that change, too. All of them were cheekier somehow, but the change of Cleggy was most noticeable I think.

Cleggy could be very cheeky as in Flower Power one from the 1970s; but some aspects of life have always frightened him - women. Mind you he was probably not that interested after the "Forked Lightning" episode.

Firstly his Edie then Marina as well as occasional attempts to get him paired off in various episodes.

Could it be a change in directors and/or producers? Maybe Sydney Lotterby wanted cheekier and Alan Bell wanted more sprawl in the grass musing type stuff. And then they were all older.

There were various producers in the early years. Series 1 had James Gilbert (correct me if i'm wrong) and Series 2 and someone named Bernard I think.

Anyway's I've always felt Clegg changed. I was watching 'Spring Fever' the other week and he was strongly standing up to Nora Batty! Much different to the Clegg that wouldn't dare go near her house.

There were various producers in the early years. Series 1 had James Gilbert (correct me if i'm wrong) and Series 2 and someone named Bernard I think.

Anyway's I've always felt Clegg changed. I was watching 'Spring Fever' the other week and he was strongly standing up to Nora Batty! Much different to the Clegg that wouldn't dare go near her house.

The four directors:
James Gilbert (1973)
Bernard Thompson (1975)
Sydney Lotterby (1976–1979, 1982–1983)
Alan J. W. Bell (1981–1982, 1983–2010)
(plus Ray Butt for two episodes in the 1976 Series#3)

But changes in Clegg had far more to do with Roy Clarke of whom Clegg is the alter ego.

Great early Clegg line from "Some Enchanted Evening"

Clegg (about Compo): "What with one thing and another he leads a fairly full and active life"
Blamire: "He's as much use to the community as whooping cough. Why does he keep chasing that woman?" (Nora Batty)
Clegg: "Well I expect because it's more fun than actually catching her"

A later Wally line:
Nora: "Are you going to let him do what he likes with me"
Wally: "What's to like about it?"

Back