Clegg's house is for sale

Oh! I'd love to come to tea! Let us know how it goes! ;) ;D

The house is ok to me, but I love gardens and that is the first thing I look at in properties. Beautifull garden.................... Wish it was mine....

Looks like this is still available, no rush to buy! Actually, this tells you a lot about the UK house price bubble of the last 20-30 years. The price of this at nearly £200,000, while out of reach of the majority, unless you have a similar overpriced property to sell, has come along way and it's not just due to it being a famous location. In fact, as famous locations go this is cheap!

I'm sure others here remember the UK sit com from the 70's The Good Life, which over 4 series plotted the exploits of Tom and Barbara Good as they tried to go self sufficient in Surbiton. In one episode, Tom tries to secure a pension income of a few thousand pounds a year (I'm going from memory so it might be less, but it tells you a lot about monetary inflation) to cover him and Barbara in old age from his bank. He's prepared to put up his property as collateral, the bank would inherit it after they have both died. The bank manager laughs at this proposition because the value of the property can't be guaranteed and they might live a long time costing the bank a few grand a year!

Well, moving forward 20 years or so, Tom Good's "house" was sold back in 2001, for around £500,000! They are today valued at getting on towards a million! What a crazy world. Some might say that the bank manager was silly for not accepting, but of course the character portrayed a more traditional type bank manager, not the risk taking bankers of the modern world. Risk taking banks that love inflated house prices as they are now seen as assets, not homes.

House prices are starting to rise again in Bucks wonder what price the art deco house in Amersham used in Poirot and other shows would command on the market.Cleggs house is a very desirable property with lovely views and I think it will sell just under the asking price ,were does the road go at the end of the terrace(past Hobos) and what is at the back?

House prices are starting to rise again in Bucks wonder what price the art deco house in Amersham used in Poirot and other shows would command on the market.Cleggs house is a very desirable property with lovely views and I think it will sell just under the asking price ,were does the road go at the end of the terrace(past Hobos) and what is at the back?

The road goes nowhere past Hobbo's just a dead end with fields at the back

That's really less a road and more a driveway. Comes in from the main road that
goes down to Jackson Bridge, and dead-ends at the corner of the building
just past Cleggy's.

also, don't think the "steps" that go down from the wall
at the parking area actually go anywhere.

If someone bought this house as a holiday let, do you think people would want to stay in it? The house always looked in such an idyllic place on the show, I know Nora Batty's house is a holiday let, does anyone think the same would work for Cleggy's house?

Not sure what your all on about with the view. This is NOT the
house overlooking Holmfirth. You basically get a look down
on the roof of the pub in Jackson Bridge, and not much more.
And a treed hill across the way. But no really great view
over a town or village. Last time there, we got a really
great view of damaged trees and water damage.

Not only is it still on the market, but the asking price has come down to £195,000. Still way out of reach, but may indicate that the owner has had a dose of reality. That price would buy my 3-bed, 1.5 bath detached house about 3.6 times.

Index your houses are definitely cheaper. Nothing in that price bracket here apart from an unimproved back-to-back.

I always go into sticker shock when I see UK real estate prices. My area's cost of living is exceptionally low, so I'm thoroughly spoiled.

Though I agree the house before had a much nicer outlook in reality if you were their age it must of been hard work living there with no vehicle access,you would have to carry all your shopping up steep inclines back home,hard to do in winter when the snow and ice is about,and if you don't like church bells then they would drive you mad

Back