Clegg Relatively Remembered

theatrically_inclined

Dedicated Member
Apart from his late wife, we learn very little about Clegg's relatives in Last of the Summer Wine. However, something is nagging at me that Clegg had a relative who was a vicar or other clergyman... Is this just a half-heard line I've mis-remembered, or was there a brother perhaps who was connected to religion?

Roger......you scare me and astound me in equal measures !!!!!
Remember the film with Steve Martin..."the man with 2 brains" [which is absolutely fantastic by the way !!!].......I think somehow you have had a "Summerwine lobe transplant" [if that makes sense ???] from Roy Clarke.....you truly are absolutely amazing my friend !!!!.
You have my undying respect !!!!!.
Keith.
X!

Don't forget Aubrey, who came to visit.

I think the Vicar relation was supposed to be his wife's and may be based on his conversation in the pilot about borrowing books, combined with a conversation later on about the Vicar visiting on Sundays. I don't think there was anything really concrete though.

Was he related to Gordon whose shed was on fire and that he called on Christmas?

I think the Vicar relation was supposed to be his wife's and may be based on his conversation in the pilot about borrowing books, combined with a conversation later on about the Vicar visiting on Sundays. I don't think there was anything really concrete though.
That must be it - at least I can watch the episode now and I'll know I'm not imagining things!

I believe it's at the end of the "Pate and Chips" (S1) where they are drinking toasts and Clegg mentions his brother in law being a vicar. I've always wondered if the vicar he talks to in the pilot is supposed to have been that brother in law, or just a vicar who he was friendly with.

I'm not sure if his brother in law was actually a vicar, but didn't he smell of musty hymn books?

I don't think his brother in law is referred to as a vicar in Pate and Chips (he shows great tact and understanding by keeping out of me way), and I believe the hymn book reference was another episode (but I could be wrong).

Back