Chelsea Flower Show

Peripheral

Dedicated Member
Anybody watching the Chelsea Flower Show? Are there many keen gardeners among the Summer Wine fans?:tw:
Peri.

Just as I read your message about the canal and lock, it came on the telly. That looks great. If ever I get mobile again I must try and get to see that.
Peri.

Yes Peripheral I class myself as a keen gardener. I have created a Cottage Garden which has mostly Perennials and shrubs.
I find that this sort of garden looks mostly after itself once you have got the right sorts of plants and most self seed so there is not too much expense, but a lot of work just looking after it.
But you know what they say, it is good therapy.

I'm a landscape gardener, have been for 35+ years and have the bad back to prove it! Over the years i've done a fair bit of work for Southport and rhs Tatton, can't beat a good cottage garden especially when the Verbena Bonariensis and Aquilegia Vulgaris start to spread...my two favourites.

Hi happyjack, your garden sounds like the sort of garden we like best. We used to be very keen gardeners but we have reached the time of life that we have difficulty walking without some sort of support. Gardening has become a thing of the past but we have overcome the problem by having artificial turf where the lawn was, some picket fences and silk flowers placed in such a fashion that they look real. We have a six drop waterfall which is used by the local birds for a drink and a bath. It would be nice to be able to do the things we used to do and as you say, therapeutic. Last year at this time the front garden was just a sea of mud because of our big dog Benny running around in it but today, after paying out quite a few hundred pounds, it looks quite a picture. Must sort out some pictures.
Peri.

I'm a landscape gardener, have been for 35+ years and have the bad back to prove it! Over the years i've done a fair bit of work for Southport and rhs Tatton, can't beat a good cottage garden especially when the Verbena Bonariensis and Aquilegia Vulgaris start to spread...my two favourites.
Hello Ferret, the Verbena and Aquilegia are also our favourites. If you have seen my reply to Happyjack you will know that we are both now very disabled. We do have a few standard plants to go alongside the silk flowers which, if you pay the right money, can look very realistic. The large garden at the back of the house we now have set up as a wildlife garden. We have many different breeds of birds and about eight squirrels who, with their antics, keep us entertained. I am going to post some pics in a day or two.
Peri.

I am also a landscape gardener of sorts , after admitting defeat and having achieved what I am told was impossible by killing off the rhubarb in my garden I "landscaped " my back garden with tons of pea gravel so all I do is pull up the odd weed that dares to peak through . Same at the front of the House but for a Hedge which is about 12 feet in length which gets the equivalent of a human haircut using a number 0 comb . I do however watch Chelsea Flower show which is just a great experience even though it has never inspired me to greater achievements in the horticultural world.

Hi Captain, another landscape gardener? My wife wants to know where you live. She's hoping you live in the next street and can pop round and do some scaping for us. What we really need is the muscle that is required to be able to do the gardening ourselves. We are past it. :cry2:

Good Morning Captain, Newcastle is a bit of a hike from here. Tell you what though, you can borrow my skateboard if that is a good enough mode of transport for you.:) ...We do have a spade and a rake. I say rake, actually, it's a nit comb fastened onto my wife's walking stick.;)

Bit too long in the tooth for skateboards but if Wesley can make me a longer trolley [saw how cramped Smiler looked on one and I am tall] I might consider it . Given the statement "Up North, Down South " is factually accurate then I should make good speed down that Hill to where you are . You will of course need to hire Auntie's Milk Float to tow me back "Up North" sure you will be in luck because she happens to have a deal on hiring vehicles this week.

Thinking about trolleys [or bogies as they known here] I recall the forerunner for a thrill ride downhill was a hardback book placed on an old fashioned style roller skate with its retaining straps removed . I always recall most kids , including me , with holes in the back of their jeans [shorts in the summer] after coming off and your backside becoming an impromptu brake ,happy days.

We have just been watching the Chelsea Flower Show and there was a section on trees. My favourite, the Japanese red Acer was shown. Here are a couple of photos I took at the local Wentworth Garden Center a few years ago. We had the second picture enlarged and framed and it now has pride of place in our conservatory.

Attachments

• Japanese Acer.jpg
    Japanese Acer.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 3
  • The tree 3  03.jpg
    The tree 3 03.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 5
Manwinoname, are you watching the Chelsea Flower Show? Welcome to Yorkshire has won the peoples choice award for the Favourite Garden. FAB. :01::01::01::01::01::18::18::18::18::18:

One of my favourite stills from the Chelsea Flower show evokes happy memories of childhood just had to watch a clip on You Tube laughing my head off.

chelsea.jpg

Last edited:
Back