Cat Stevens

C

Chuffer Enwright

Anybody else here a fan? or is it just me?
I saw him years ago as Yusuf Islam, a very cool and brave guy, converted to Islam when it was even more massively taboo than it is now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q29YR5-t3gg

Brings back many good childhood memories. I was brought up on The Beatles, Dusty Springfield, Johnny Cash and Cat Stevens.

I remember going to school singing Matthew and Son I always liked him .
Father and son is one of my all time favourites

I remember going to school singing Matthew and Son I always liked him .
Father and son is one of my all time favourites

Good work George. Matthew and Son is great.
He was/is a smashing fella. Great musician.

Here, I also like Cat Stevens, the Beatles and Johnny Cash, and some more like Simon and Garfunkel for example.

I recall buying one of those K-Tel compilation albums and his track 'Can't Keep It In' inspired me to listen to more of his music. Always easy to listen to and from what I have read is a nice person too.

I had quite a bit of his music when very young...I remember a song called "Ruby"
that I liked real well.

When I was a nipper, I used to get played Harry Nilsson, I thought he was ace. My Uncle Ron who helped bring me up got me into him and we played this at his funeral, along with Abide with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATg8CdRD68E

My Uncle Ron was always there for me when I was a kid. He was a giant of a man. He was a wood cutter by trade and had muscles on muscles. He was a friend of Randy Turpin who was the World Middleweight Champion in the 50's. He was 6' 3" and was invincible.
He died on his own in care aged 88, not much money, but he was a hero to me. My Dad was in the Army and worked on the Oil Rigs when I was growing up, so Uncle Ron was there when I needed him. He used to drive me to concerts, wait for me, go to the local pub aqnd play Darts with the locals for money! He was the biggest, acest man I ever knew, he taught me how to box and used to make me Cricket bats out of planks when I was a boy!
So I dedicate this to my Uncle Ron.

When I was a nipper, I used to get played Harry Nilsson, I thought he was ace. My Uncle Ron who helped bring me up got me into him and we played this at his funeral, along with Abide with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATg8CdRD68E

My Uncle Ron was always there for me when I was a kid. He was a giant of a man. He was a wood cutter by trade and had muscles on muscles. He was a friend of Randy Turpin who was the World Middleweight Champion in the 50's. He was 6' 3" and was invincible.
He died on his own in care aged 88, not much money, but he was a hero to me. My Dad was in the Army and worked on the Oil Rigs when I was growing up, so Uncle Ron was there when I needed him. He used to drive me to concerts, wait for me, go to the local pub aqnd play Darts with the locals for money! He was the biggest, acest man I ever knew, he taught me how to box and used to make me Cricket bats out of planks when I was a boy!
So I dedicate this to my Uncle Ron.
Randy Turpin,oh ys he met a sad end.Your dad had a big claim to fame then.I love Nillsson got most of his albums

Good man CW. I remeber George Sefton, the announcer/PA at Liverpool FC playing this song when Nillson died over the tannoy.
It was my Uncle who knew Turpin. Yeah, Randy met a sad end, like many Boxers did in those days.
My Uncle was a collossus of a man, big and strong, it took Cancer to kill him aged 88. He had arms like tree trunks.
He used to drive me everwhere. I remember he took me to see the Stone Roses once...he said, "So, these Stone Roses, what are they all about then?" So I did him a tape for his car and he used to play it all the time. Master of the understatement as he was, this is the fella who said that Ray Robinson "could fight" reckoned they were "Ok like".
He taught me all I knew.
When I was a kid my Uncle and Gramps used to tell me stories about Jack Dempsey, Marciano, Robinson etc...they were good days. He never had any kids, so I was the Son he never had, he was proud a punch when I went to University, the first and only member of my family to do so, he used to write to me and send me money.
When I bought my first house he made sure that the first Xmas tree I had came fro the Fencing yard he worked at. He used to drive 20 miles every Saturday morning to bring me veg from his garden and have a cup of tea with me.

Good man CW. I remeber George Sefton, the announcer/PA at Liverpool FC playing this song when Nillson died over the tannoy.
It was my Uncle who knew Turpin. Yeah, Randy met a sad end, like many Boxers did in those days.
My Uncle was a collossus of a man, big and strong, it took Cancer to kill him aged 88. He had arms like tree trunks.
He used to drive me everwhere. I remember he took me to see the Stone Roses once...he said, "So, these Stone Roses, what are they all about then?" So I did him a tape for his car and he used to play it all the time. Master of the understatement as he was, this is the fella who said that Ray Robinson "could fight" reckoned they were "Ok like".
He taught me all I knew.
When I was a kid my Uncle and Gramps used to tell me stories about Jack Dempsey, Marciano, Robinson etc...they were good days. He never had any kids, so I was the Son he never had, he was proud a punch when I went to University, the first and only member of my family to do so, he used to write to me and send me money.
When I bought my first house he made sure that the first Xmas tree I had came fro the Fencing yard he worked at. He used to drive 20 miles every Saturday morning to bring me veg from his garden and have a cup of tea with me.
oh yes,yourr uncle I stand corrected.They made men tough back then,my grandad died last year at 101,remarkable considering he was barely active in his last 20 years

He taught me all I knew.
oh yes,yourr uncle I stand corrected.They made men tough back then,my grandad died last year at 101,remarkable considering he was barely active in his last 20 years

101?Cor blimey. They did make them tough back then mate, That was the last generation who knew what struggle properly was.

Back