Carry On

Maybe the Americans don't understand the British sense of humor. There is nothing like British comedy..
Some do, most don't. I show LOTSW to others over here and they look at me like "I don't get why you like it". I may offend here....but I just don't get the mainstream "primetime" stuff over here, especially the comedies. Seem very mindless, just slap stick, and retold jokes mainly sexual in nature. It has been since Seinfeld that the wife and I have watched primetime television shows. Which really puts us on the outside at dinner parties and such. Its ok, we have each other to talk to :respect:
My 2 cents.
Wesley.

I can kind of see Kenneth Williams in Summer Wine, as a "third man" with Compo and Clegg.

I like Kenneth Williams, but I couldn't see him in that role. For a start he was only 5'8", so he didn't really fit the ideal of the third man who was tall. Williams was very good at playing roles that were contemptuous and dismissive of others, so in that sense he might fit, but his voice was very nasal and distinctive. Also have to say would someone like Williams, even playing a character, have ever known or got on with a character like Compo? I doubt it. The other thing is that especially in comedy he played most roles in a camp way. Not sure how that would have gone down in LOTSW or whether Roy Clarke would have been of a mind to write a role for such a character. That's not to say he couldn't be serious, but as interviews tend to show, his serious voice was often right up there when it came to contempt for others. As with Charles Autrey, Kenneth Williams always seemed to be at his best in comedy when there was an element of camp about him.

I have to agree with Clegg, I honestly don't think Kenneth Williams would have lasted 5 minutes with any of them. Completely different personalities and way of life.

I'm not sure if the gang were ready for Kenneth Williams !

If you had mentioned gay marriage to anyone of them there would have just thought it meant a happy wedding day.

Back