Bruce Forsyth

Ess

Dedicated Member
I wote this out yesterday, but my internet connection keeps failing so it did not post.
A group of golfers from our local RBL Club went up to Wentworth for the day. They paid well over £100 to play. They were on the first green and ready to start when Bruce Forsyth and his wife roared up in a buggy. He strolled out onto the green in front of them and put his tee down. One of the golfers asked him what he thought he was doing. His response was the classic 'do you know who I am'. Yes said the golfer, you are the man who is going to play next, after us! He got back in the buggy and went away.
This made me laugh.

I wote this out yesterday, but my internet connection keeps failing so it did not post.
A group of golfers from our local RBL Club went up to Wentworth for the day. They paid well over £100 to play. They were on the first green and ready to start when Bruce Forsyth and his wife roared up in a buggy. He strolled out onto the green in front of them and put his tee down. One of the golfers asked him what he thought he was doing. His response was the classic 'do you know who I am'. Yes said the golfer, you are the man who is going to play next, after us! He got back in the buggy and went away.
This made me laugh.

I can recall a similar incident at Ladybank, a big Open Qualifier course in Fife, years ago. One of the reasons I find the man appalling. Rumour has it his attitude to those on any show with him is equally demeaning - to him rather than them in my opinion. That the BBC retains him is another reason for my lack of any continuing respect for the BBC. And what idiot awarded him a knighthood?

I personally cannot stand the man.He is the old Jack of all trades master of none, and the way he obviously uses idiot boards/cue cards is really annoying.
If anyone said to me do you know who I am? would be told what they were.

Alright my loves

This made me laugh.

I can recall a similar incident at Ladybank, a big Open Qualifier course in Fife, years ago. One of the reasons I find the man appalling. Rumour has it his attitude to those on any show with him is equally demeaning - to him rather than them in my opinion. That the BBC retains him is another reason for my lack of any continuing respect for the BBC. And what idiot awarded him a knighthood?

Maybe he lets the powers that be go before HIM on the golf course

I personally cannot stand the man.He is the old Jack of all trades master of none, and the way he obviously uses idiot boards/cue cards is really annoying.
If anyone said to me do you know who I am? would be told what they were.

Alright my loves

I agree with George on this one,also when I did see him in a show he seemed to use the same old lines time and time again,I bet he ran an entire show on around 4 lines

This made me laugh.

Two further thoughts though not to excuse Forsyth in any way - his attitude was obviouly appalling. If the RBL golfers on the first tee (where you start, not the first green) were in a four ball, it is golf etiquette to let a two ball go first - only sensible. And quite a few clubs have a rule that members have priority on the first tee. That has probabaly put the proverbial cat in amongst the live stock. Ho hum.

I don't know anything about golf or Mr Forsythe, but a friend of mine was in a village shop in Alfriston, where he lived, about 15 years ago. There was a short queue, about 5 people, waiting and chatting, when an older lady strode past them demanding attention from the assistant serving them. The assistant asked if she'd hold on for a moment. The lady then boomed 'Do you know who I am?' and aparently a string of bad language followed. She stormed out pushing people out of the way. The queue, some locals but one or two tourists, were annoyed, as you can imagine. The assistant said she's always like that. It was Vera Lynne.

I wrote this out yesterday, but my internet connection keeps failing so it did not post.
This made me laugh.

Two further thoughts though not to excuse Forsyth in any way - his attitude was obviously appalling. If the RBL golfers on the first tee (where you start, not the first green) were in a four ball, it is golf etiquette to let a two ball go first - only sensible. And quite a few clubs have a rule that members have priority on the first tee. That has probably put the proverbial cat in amongst the live stock. Ho hum.

Legionairs are reasonable people Unc. If they had been asked politely, they would have made room for him. It is the attitude that upsets people. I can't like a man who has to whine and grizzle to his friends about not getting a Knighthood, until he gets his way.

Legionairs are reasonable people Unc. If they had been asked politely, they would have made room for him. It is the attitude that upsets people. I can't like a man who has to whine and grizzle to his friends about not getting a Knighthood, until he gets his way.

Quite right and, as I said, I was in no way trying to excuse Forsyth. And thanks for specifying "Legionairs". In my usual state of non compos mentis I could not discern meaning of your abbreviation "RBL". The brain cell was with the other guy that day. And quite right about the girning after a knighthood. Probably comes in as the most undeserving ever awarded.

I have been a part of our Royal British Legion Club for a long time, Unc. I played bowls for them for 20 years and more. My children and grandchildren are a big part of it as well. I don't play anymore, but I still make scones for big events!!

Back