Broad Yorkshire

Peripheral

Dedicated Member
Bonjour tout la monde, comment ca va? That's not French, it is broad Yorkshire for 'Fish and chips twice please wi scraps on'. I remember when I was little, I could go into a chip shop with a tanner {sixpence} and get fish and chips wi scraps on. What does it cost these days? It's nearer six quid than sixpence. For those among you who are not fully comprehensive of the English coin, sixpence was the equivalent of two and a half new pence when we were plunged into something called decimalization. We still had the sixpence piece, often referred to as a tanner, but instead of being sixpence, it was now two and a half new pence. The shilling, better known as a bob, became five new pence. The two-shilling piece, florin, also known as the 'two bob bit', became ten new pence and the half-crown, also known as the half dollar, was worth, in the new coinage, twelve and a half new pence. I remember that back in those days if you had a half-crown, you felt like a millionaire. The ten bob note became fifty new pence and the pound note was a hundred new pence and I became very doolally trying to memorise all this cr** err changes brought about by decimalization. Everything changed, weights, measures and temperatures. I still have difficulty with temperatures. To me, 32 degrees Frankenstein is freezing point, not nought degrees centipede. The language also started to change and something called 'BRUNCH' came on the scene. It was at that point that my little grey cells threw up their arms in despair and I was carted off to a sanatorium by men in white coats. I never got round to mentioning the 'diddler' did I?, Does anybody remember what that was worth?......Peri.

The diddler was in my area referring to the threepenny piece ..............half a sixpence! ( cue for a song Peri??) BTW Thanks for making me feel older than wot I am ! Much appreciated! :fp:

Last edited:
Back