Brian Wilde spreads Clover

Thanks for posting it Leigh, not seen that one before, love it when something 'new' turns up. Wally did the bread adverts & Foggy the butter. I noticed that Foggy had a different hat on, maybe as the BBC didn't do adverts they wouldn't let him wear their hat.

Jonathan said that he was paid more for doing the John Smiths adverts than the BBC payed him for playing Crusher.
Christopher Biggins "says" he was paid more in royalties for BBC repeats of Porridge than he was paid to make the show... but advert work definitely pays well!

Last edited:
Brian Wilde 1985 TV commercial for Clover spread.
I'm trying to figure out what this is. It's not butter as it's called a spread. It contains dairy so it must be butter plus other ingredients. Since it's called Clover, that makes one think of bees, so does it contain Honey? Anyway it looks interesting.

I'm trying to figure out what this is. It's not butter as it's called a spread. It contains dairy so it must be butter plus other ingredients. Since it's called Clover, that makes one think of bees, so does it contain Honey? Anyway it looks interesting.
Very reasonably sure it doesn't contain honey.

Probably one molecule away from being uPVC plastic.

Brian tells you in the commercial, it's butter mixed with vegetable oil.
You'd have had to read the small print on the container to discover from what "vegetable" the oil was extracted. Here in the states, it would usually be soy, which is a bean, not a vegetable, and which really dislikes a great many of us.

Back