Brian Murphy as . . . Billy Hardcastle?

Sarkus

Dedicated Member
I must have missed it in previous reads, but Alan Bell says in his book that Murphy was his first choice to play Billy Hardcastle in How Errol Flynn Discovered the Secret Scar of Nora Batty. It was only because of a "misunderstanding" that Murphy did not originate the role, which Keith Clifford ended up with.

It creates an interesting "what if" scenario in a number of ways.

I think Keith Clifford had the right Dour and glum Yorkshire character off perfectly. Brian Murphy in my opinion, was a bit too "Chirpy" to carry off that character, though he was good as a replacement to live in Compo's old house. There were a few actors too, who only ever appeared once that I'd love to have seen as regulars......... such as Jack Smethurst (Davenport).

Last edited:
Both actors fit the characters they played so well. I find it difficult to imagine them in reversed roles.

Agree they were brilliant in their own characters Brian Murphy,s comments to Nora were very funny plus his al fresco breakfasts were good.

I think that they played exactly the right roles and sometimes it's serendipity on how actors end up with their roles. Can you imagine Raymond Burr playing Hamilton Burger? Almost happened.

Back