Blandings

Big Unc

Dedicated Member
Memorable quote:

Pongo: I think I am a little drunk.
Frederick: Why?
Pongo: I've been drinking.

Thoroughly enjoyed tonight's episode and another great performance by Timothy Spall. I recently heard him described as a great character actor. Great yes, character actor, no. That limits him. He is a great actor, period. I feel I will return to this subject on another thread.

Generally like the whole programme and consider it very much in the spirit of the great P G Wodehouse whose books I loved. But one great pity, something I would dearly like to check with the series writer. Why has he omitted the character of the Hon Galahad Threepwood (Gally), Lord Emsworth's younger brother. There is many a plot could be developed with his input.

Wow! Thanks for that!! Just downloaded the first (??)
episode of Blandings and watched a few short bits on the PC.
Can't wait to play it on the TV.

(At first I was confusing this with Mr Blandings Builds His Dream House.)

(At first I was confusing this with Mr Blandings Builds His Dream House.)
I thought it was Mr. Blandings builds his dream house too :)

Not sure of your source. Here we just started Series #2 - first episode titled 'Throwing Eggs' featuring Harry Enfield as Duke of Dunstable and Tim Vine comes in as Beech the Butler - replaces Mark Williams from Series #1.

Recalling a previous point I have made on another thread, here it would just not work introducing a new character. The butler, Beech, is a fundamental character in the story. One cannot just introduce a new character. It is up to new actor and director to ensure continuity. Good actors can do it.

Generally like the whole programme and consider it very much in the spirit of the great P G Wodehouse whose books I loved. But one great pity, something I would dearly like to check with the series writer. Why has he omitted the character of the Hon Galahad Threepwood (Gally), Lord Emsworth's younger brother. There is many a plot could be developed with his input.

Last night's episode 'Hello to All This' did introduce the Hon Galahad Threepwood but sadly actor Julian Rhind-Tutt played him far too young. Gally should look somewhat like the Fawlty Towers major but be far more sprightly. In some ways I cannot say I am happy with the Director's, Paul Seed, character interpretation. Sister Connie is far too wishy-washy and should be more like Celia Imrie's playing of the other sister, Charlotte. But then, Celia Imrie is an actress which Jennifer Saunders is not. But problem is mainly one of direction. And letting the butler Beech actually laugh when serving or carrying out other butler duties departs ridiculously from the character as written by P G Wodehouse.

Not as happy with it as I was originally - departing far too much from Wodehouse. Still consider that to be authentic Gally needs to be a permanent character and the theme of last night's episode, Gally's memoirs, should be a recurrent feature.

Back