Billy Hardcastle

I would like to add a bit of info on why Billy was no longer seen without much explanation. I had the pleasure of knowing Keith Clifford when he was in LSW, but no longer see him as I moved house. Keith was extremely proud of being in LSW and would tell us stories of went on behind the screens ( no gossip as Keith would never be so indiscreet just fun tales ) But unfortunately he injured his back and was unable to continue, I think he wasn't written out as they were hoping he would return.

Very much appreciate being informed of this. Billy was always a favourite of mine and thought the show lost an enormous amount when he disappeared.

I would like to add a bit of info on why Billy was no longer seen without much explanation. I had the pleasure of knowing Keith Clifford when he was in LSW, but no longer see him as I moved house. Keith was extremely proud of being in LSW and would tell us stories of went on behind the screens ( no gossip as Keith would never be so indiscreet just fun tales ) But unfortunately he injured his back and was unable to continue, I think he wasn't written out as they were hoping he would return.

Very interesting, always wondered why he left, and given the nature of the role, a bad back would certainly be a problem.

It just goes to show how the cast members want to stay with the show.

The exceptions would be Brian Wilde and Mike Grady - but they both returned.

Welcome Stec, and what a way to make you debut into this forum, with great inside knowledge. What an opening appearance!

Welcome Stec, and what a way to make you debut into this forum, with great inside knowledge. What an opening appearance!

Im afraid I haven't much more info, except little bits of what I can remember, for example I can recall Keith saying one time that he had been filming that week with large gnomes which indecently was on the Yesterday channel yesterday. And he would also tell us how some of the older ones used to struggle with lines, and one of them (I think it was Thora Hurd but Im not sure) had her lines held up on large cards for her, and then some of the others saw this and wanted the same thing. So they had all these cards going up with different lines on. I cant really remember much else but if I do I will post it. I know Keith was doing his one man shows after he left LSW portraying Frank Randle.

Yes hello stec, good to read what you have to say about Keith.

I agree with Big Unc, on this one, Billy Hardcastle was a good character and I thought it added something to the show.

Saw him today falling in the river no wonder he ended up with a bad back ,one of the best actors in the show and a real barmpot.

Think Keith was the only one of the cast to actually come from Yorkshire

Kathy Staff reportably "commuted" every day to Holmfirth by just driving over the mountain, doesn't that mean that she's a native of Yorkshire? Of course, I could be wrong.

Think Keith was the only one of the cast to actually come from Yorkshire

Kathy Staff reportably "commuted" every day to Holmfirth by just driving over the mountain, doesn't that mean that she's a native of Yorkshire? Of course, I could be wrong.

In a sense, far from it. The "mountains" in question (more hills in reality) would be the Pennines. She lived in Dukinfield in Cheshire (life long member of St Mark's, Dukinfield) which became part of Greater Manchester. So in a sense she was more Lancashire than Yorkshire and we know what Clegg thought of Lancashire.

The "mountains" in question (more hills in reality) would be the Pennines. ... and we know what Clegg thought of Lancashire.

I think they tend to call them peaks, but I am not a native, having only arrived here in the 1970s, so what would I know! However when you walk up them they feel like mountains.

There is actually a hamlet (presumably as it has no church) called Mountain just to the north of Queensbury on the Keighley Road.

As Clegg would say, talking of seeing Lancashire, "there's always a snag" ...

they tend to be called peaks further south into derbyshire (as in the peak district) from this area northwards they are called a variety of things such as fells, sides etc. :)

they tend to be called peaks further south into derbyshire (as in the peak district) from this area northwards they are called a variety of things such as fells, sides etc. :)

The main point I was making was that Kathy Staff did not have to drive over a mountain to get to Holmfirth. Mind, I did a wee bit research and realised that there are a couple of mountains that almost get in the way. First, we define mountain as follows:
Within Great Britain and Ireland, a mountain is now usually defined as any summit at least 2,000 feet (or 610 metres) high, whilst the official UK government's definition of a mountain is a summit of 600 metres or higher.

Within the area applicable, The Dark Peak Area of The Peak District National Park there are two mountains, Kinder Scout and Bleaklow Head. For more mountains one has to go somewhat further north to the Yorkshire Dales for the likes of Ingleborough, Great Shunner Fell, High Seat (Mallerstang), Wild Boar Fell, Great Whernside, Buckden Pike, Pen-y-ghent .....

I found it most instructive. In Scotland we are used to Munros and Corbetts but I learned there are also Grahams, Murdos and Donalds. And in England there are Hewitts, Wainwrights, Deweys, Nuttalls and lower hills termed delightfully, Bridgets. Found a great website with all this on:
http://www.go4awalk.com/uk-mountains-and-hills.php

thats a really interesting site big unc, how on earth did you find it.

I was using Google to research the height of the land to the east of Greater Manchester over towards Holmfirth which Kathy Staff would have had to transit on her commute. I wanted to check if there are any mountains. But it is fascinating, isn't it.

Back