Billy Hardcastle

He also made a very respectable woman on occasions ,what a come down for a decendant of Robin Hood.

He also made a very respectable woman on occasions ,what a come down for a decendant of Robin Hood.

LOL, well said. I mentioned before that is why I like Billy. He to pride in the grand delusion of taking pride in being a "direct descendant" of Robin Hood, yet he got caught up in such foolish predicaments, like dressing as a women, singing in place of the Gnome in "Gnome and Away," etc. And I recall some silly parts in "The Lair of the Cat Creature", among others.

Great character, and not as unbelievable as you might think - I have met some not dis-similar barmpots myself ... there again, I have quite an affection for barmpots ...

Felt sorry for him having a dragon for a wife and a sisterinlaw like it as well ,saw him this morning when he ended up with a new recruit.He was terrified that it might get back to his wife that she was a woman ,but I think she would have had something to say about his new robin hood cap!

Felt sorry for him having a dragon for a wife and a sisterinlaw like it as well ,saw him this morning when he ended up with a new recruit.He was terrified that it might get back to his wife that she was a woman ,but I think she would have had something to say about his new robin hood cap!

I can't say I feel any sorrier for Billy than any of the other married male characters. I think the common theme of Summer Wine is that the single guys are free as birds and the married men are miserable and oppressed! I don't think Billy is any worse of than Wally, Sid, or Howard. This goes beyond Summer Wine into Clarke's other creations. I REALLY pity Richard "Bouquet" Bucket!!!!

Hate to say this but my father was a replica of Richard. My Mum ws always after him. He couldn't eat toast without her watching he won't drop any crumbs. I felt sorry for dad..

I can't say I feel any sorrier for Billy than any of the other married male characters. I think the common theme of Summer Wine is that the single guys are free as birds and the married men are miserable and oppressed! I don't think Billy is any worse of than Wally, Sid, or Howard. This goes beyond Summer Wine into Clarke's other creations. I REALLY pity Richard "Bouquet" Bucket!!!!

Barry is the only character who's happy to be married

Barry is the only character who's happy to be married

Yes, Barry had it well. In my listing of all husbands with oppressive wives I forgot to mention Wesley with Edie newspapering the floors for him. I definitely think Chuffer made a great additional point- Wesley probably wasn't allow to to make rows!!!

Is it small wonder that Blamire and Foggy, both career soldiers (although catering and sign writing- not quite the stuff of unarmed combat) remained single for so long.

Ludovic's wife was goign to kill him for buying that van .... yes, apart from barry no one seemed to be happily married.

I bet Foggy had the postwoman doing everything by numbers ,and she had to paint the stones by the path white after Foggy painted the regimental badge on the side of the wash house!Wesley wouldnt have stood a chance against Edie she was the master at arguing ,Wesley was adept at dissapearing very quietly as was Howard would you hang around while Pearl was banging on? Clegg did not realise he was married it all went by in a haze and he did not remember a lot about it.Seymour,s wife deserves a medal for being married to him he probably sent her round the bend every day of their marriage.Barry also went round in a daze so Glenda would not have had much effect on him even though she was trained by Edie.But as has been said all Mr Clarkes woman are battleaxes so maybe he has had first hand experience?

....But as has been said all Mr Clarkes woman are battleaxes so maybe he has had first hand experience?

Not quite: Miss Davenport is different, quite like Mrs Bucket's next door neighbour, Elizabeth (both played by same actress).

And Clegg's mother was quite anxious, and so was Mavis in Open All Hours who could never make up her mind -(Both played by Maggie Ollerenshaw)

Ros was less of a battle axe.

I think the women would just regard themselves as strong ...

....But as has been said all Mr Clarkes woman are battleaxes so maybe he has had first hand experience?

Not quite: Miss Davenport is different, quite like Mrs Bucket's next door neighbour, Elizabeth (both played by same actress).

And Clegg's mother was quite anxious, and so was Mavis in Open All Hours who could never make up her mind -(Both played by Maggie Ollerenshaw)

Ros was less of a battle axe.

I think the women would just regard themselves as strong ...
Marina and Babs were hardly battleaxes either

I would like to add a bit of info on why Billy was no longer seen without much explanation. I had the pleasure of knowing Keith Clifford when he was in LSW, but no longer see him as I moved house. Keith was extremely proud of being in LSW and would tell us stories of went on behind the screens ( no gossip as Keith would never be so indiscreet just fun tales ) But unfortunately he injured his back and was unable to continue, I think he wasn't written out as they were hoping he would return.

Thank you Stec, for putting us in the picture. There had been a lot of speculation about him.

Back