Bill Owens " bent " finger.

Re: Bill Owens " bent " finger.

I'm sure I have seen photographs of Bill holding a ferret. It was on the back of one of the VHS tapes if I remember correctly.

How would I go about getting a set of these journals? Are any still available anywhere? How many were there? Anyone know? Sorry, all questions! But does anyone have any idea if they're still available to buy anywhere?

I am sorry Rhi. I meant to answer you earlier. I think it was George who said he had tried to join the society and had no luck. The president is a nice man called Clive Eardley. The last address I had for him was

clivefireflash@btinternet.com

As I said I have not had anything from him for over a year, probably longer, but it might be worth asking for old copies

I'm sure I've seen a late 70s picture of Compo handling a ferret.

Never heard of this bent finger.

Any notable episodes where it can be seen?

You can see it all the time if you look closely. It´s the exterior fingers on both hands, especially the little finger. May not have been quite as bad in the earlier episodes, but I think it got worse later. When I first noticed it I thought for a second the little finger was missing! I think that was right at the beginning of Cheering up Gordon or so, after he wakes up in the morning and tells about his nightmare, the way he was clutching the blanket or so.

Picture of Bill Owen with ferret is on the front cover of "A Country Companion", and on page 84. I knew I'd seen it somewhere else. But looking at it more closely it could be stuffed as Big Unc suggested.

Could be the onset of arthritis he was getting on and it seems to catch us all out in the end.

funny that I came upon this thread. I was wondering the same and was going to start. Although, when they show him getting a ferret out of a drawer you don't notice it, I think because they are using an animal handler to do those scenes. Another example, Maurice Chavelier (spelling) show and taking the ferret out of his jacket. The hands are very big and phalanges are straight. My mom has that, she just calls it her trigger finger. snip of the tendon did the trick. She would literally have to pull her finger out with other hand.

Talking of Bill/Compo and ferrets ....

I'd need to re-watch a bunch of episodes, but I am reasonably
certain that we have seen Compo with at least one live,
squirming ferret peering from under his jumper on occasion.

I think that they had a ferret wrangler to deal with the ferrets and a stunt man to do the ferret-in-the-jacket scenes.

We watched Spring Fever this morning and it was very hard to tell , but even in the early shows his pinky is curled in the scene where his girl's eating mushy peas.

Back