Best Performance #11

Definitely 'That Certain Smile'. Compo, Clegg and Seymour visit Clem Hemmingway in hospital, and buy him a small gift in the hospital shop (totalling no more than 50p)

"A keyring. It is. It's a plastic keyring. Well, fancy."

"Fair makes me wish I'd brought some keys..."

It is, of course, the first time we see Clem 'Smiler' in an episode. The year was 1988.

A Short Blast of Fred Astaire, Stephen Lewis is not built to be a dancer but he gave it a go. I wonder how long it took them to teach him those basic steps to get the shots . I wonder if Lionel Blair was involved in teaching the cast for the finale shot at the bus stop which makes me laugh out loud every time I watch it together when they discover Entwistle has hypnotised them all and they do the little " Puttin on the Ritz " routine just brilliant . If Lionel was involved I'm surprised he isn't bald because he must have torn his hair out teaching them.:)

I've forgotten the title (AGAIN!) ………...Aunty wants Smiler to deliver a small chest of drawers, " Cant I just stay and look after the shop ?" "Anything you want delivering to Australia for instance" ??:frown2:

Was just watching "Ironing Day" and Smiler's escapades while drunk in that episode, after a "tasting" consisting of 2 tiny glasses of the home-made elderflower wine from Aunty Wainwright, are pretty funny.

I loved that one - "Been married 33 years. Been going through a bad patch" - "How long ?" - "32 years".

That one where he rides a bicycle out into the country and suddenly his voice changes, maybe he's inebriated, then he's balancing on the bridge with Howard and of course they fall into the water. He suddenly speaks with this really deep, rich, suave voice. Was that his real voice?

Back