Benny Hill

goodiesguy

Dedicated Member
Alright, who else is a Benny fan?

I'm a huge obsessive fan, I collect anything to do with him. I identify with him on a personal level, which is why I love him so much.

I always thought It would've been cool for him to appear on Summer Wine. He could do so many characters, He would've been able to make a great Yorkshire character barmpot for the trio to sort out, maybe give Compo (or a later character) a run for his money with Nora.

Kathy Staff also appeared on a couple of Hill's shows, in 1983 and 1986 respectively. You should check them out, in one Wife Swapping sketch in 1986 she get's a huge round of applause from the audience.

I dont think Benny Hill would have fitted in lotsw. His "humour" was entirely different and although he could do many characters he would not be quite right. In my humble opinion.

I'm not sure how he would have performed at a slower pace, my dad was a Benny Hill fan so as kids we watched it. It was very fast and energetic which is the opposite to Summer Wine. I think the reason Benny Hill did so well was because it was fast and full of scantily clad women of cause.

Benny was in the Italian Job and his character was typical Benny Hill chasing women and looking naughty. I think they had an opportunity to show him in a different light but didn't take it, it would have been nice to see how versatile he was.

I'm afraid I have to agree with Happyjack and say that Benny Hill slowed down to Summer Wine pace may not have been has funny to his fans and I think that would have spoilt it for you.

Good thread by the way it will be interesting to see peoples views on this :42:

I have not given Benny Hill a good watch. Seen some when I was a teen, was racy , and a womanizer, I have to give it another look. I think if he was that good of a performer he could have "gone both ways", having been a fast paced comedy and tried his hand at SW. He could have been the drifter that rolled through town on his way to London to perform. They would have had a good time trying to figure him out. Then tip their hat to him, because he was "heading south" , God Bless his soul.:25:

I too am a massive Benny Hill fan.

I think Benny Hill would have been ok in an episode of LOTSW. I also think too many people have a fixed idea what his work was about. People automatically think speeded up chase sequences, the China man, Fred Scuttle and semi-clad girls.

Nothing wrong with that, but he also did carefully observed routines, clever word play, surprisingly good impressions and whatever else I can't quite think of at the moment.

Though Benny Hill always preferred to hide behind a guise, he would have been good in LOTSW in a subtle role.

And I'm sure there would be a homage to Benny Hill near the end of the LOTSW episode with a chase sequence - Alan JW Bell would have done this very well, cranking up the film to make it a cross between The Benny Hill Show and LOTSW.

I reckon Ronnie Hazlehurst would have done a good Benny Hilesque musical score too.

It's doubtful Hill would have appeared, for the last 20 or so years of his life he only performed his own material.

But it is an interesting thought.

Back