Be Wary of sending Gifts with Batteries

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
At this time of year we all tend to start sending gifts,be careful if send them via Royal mail if the contain batteries, it is possible the item may get destroyed, or returned and you can be fined,the Royal mail have a complex and confusing leaflet all about what you can and cannot send,if your packet contains batteries you must declare it when posting at the post office, they scan the packets at sorting offices and if there is no sticker on the packet stating there are batteries,the package will be destroyed,in the leaflet you cannot send new or used Lithium batteries if they are not sent with a electronic device,there is also a limit on how many batteries can be sent with a device,so check with the post office before you send
Terry

Yes I have seen that leaflet - batteries seem to be the most complicated thing, dependent upon whether attached to device or not. I occasionally buy some solvents (for plastics - dimethyl chloride being about the strongest) and you should read the carrier's instructions if there is a spillage! Any one would think I was ordering something to make Gunpowder Plot look like an indoor firework! Royal Mail will not touch them.

Well yes, it's necessary to stay on top of dangerous goods such as batteries which have gotten more technical and complex. It's important to follow provided instructions since if batteries are not indicated on the package and they leak or have some other problem, mail could be destroyed and/or post office personnel could be injured. Lithium is a very dangerous material and it's important to handle batteries as indicated in safety instructions. If the pamphlet (leaflet) is confusing; always check with the post office personnel to clarify the instructions.

Agree Lithium a very reactive metal (high up the Periodic Table) but the older ones were also very corrosive and tended to leak far more than their modern counterparts. The acid in accumulators (anyone remember them?) extremely corrosive - got the odd hole or two in clothing almost by just looking!

Actually thinking about all power is dangerous - batteries, gas, open fire - all has risks.

Back