Be Quick,Complete series for under £15

Hearing of the sudden problems with the £13 offer that was not I thought I had found a reasonable one on eBay. £39.99 free postage. However this afternoon an e mail

Seller ....... cancelled your order and mentioned the cancelled reason as I'm out of stock or the item is damaged
The seller refunded £39.99 back to your original payment method and you don't need to do anything else.

{Deleted seller's reference in case it causes a problem but certainly another one I shall avoid in future as see below]

What is interesting he was also advertising the box set at £43.99 and had one for auction a which had reached over £60 (nearly £70 with p & P). I also found on checking that his good rating was due to purchase history and he had withdrawn a sale previously with a negative feedback.

So eBay price varies now between £80 and £115.76 and Amazon a touch over £70 with postage up to £90 or thereabouts.

Now you can't say fairer than that, can you missus. You will feel far better knowing you've paid £90 instead of a paltry £13. Wouldn't want the neighbours thinking you are a cheapskate after all!

In the words of Derek Trotter of Fools and Horses

" I've got 2 gross of Last of the Summer Wine DVD's now they normally retail for £90 I wouldn't insult you Missus by offering you them for firteen of your best English pounds no no no I am going wiffdraw them from sale and going to charge you more bunce when they are some more in the lock up " ["But you got loads in there Del" - Albert] ] " Well don't you just luv him come on Uncle Albert you dopey old git we're leavin , do you want to get me lynched !" ;)
It's a good thing this conversation was in print. If it had been spoken - by a native Brit, there is no way I would have been able to understand. When I listen to some dialects, I have to infer from what's going on to piece together what is being said. A good example: I have never been able to understand an entire sentence spoken by "Mick Carter" from Eastenders. I can pick up the occasional word, but my American ears can't understand what he is saying.

Hello Emma,

I assume you have not had the privilege of seeing a show called Only Fools and Horses, apologies if that is factually incorrect. I don't watch Eastenders but OFAH is set in Peckham London so Derek Trotter is a Cor Blimey Londoner . He is a market trader and is always trying to sell "suspect" goods and has the chat to do so . I was attempting to be sarcastic regarding Zavvi's questionable actions regarding this issue with the LOTSW Box set . If you have not seen OFAH in addition to the broad Cockney accent Del constantly indulges in the use of French phrases which have absolutely no connection with what he is trying to convey .

Yes, I saw what you were doing. I remember the Cockney accents of Miss Brahms and Mr. Harmon on Are You Being Served. Mr. Harmon once said "argy-bargy" and I had to Google the phrase. I love regional dialects in the US and the UK and I'll always be sorry I couldn't study linguistics in school. Here's one for you to translate:
1st person: M R snikes!
2nd person: No, they're not!
1st person: S A R. C M iddy-biddy i s?

Just checked the zavvi website. Still out of stock and the price has gone up to £82.99 :(

Last edited:
This amazes me. The complete DVD set is selling here in the US for between 138.69 and 126.84 British Pound Sterling ($178.59 to $163.34 USD). There are more than 60 people watching this item, in case the price goes down. There are sellers offering just series 1-16 or 1-20 for around the same prices. I would think someone would recognize the multi-national audience of this show, and offer the DVD set for sale in the US. I can only pray that that same someone would offer it in a format that would play on US DVD players without the need for a multi-regional DVD player, or special software to enable decoding. Ah me, the set remains on my amazon.com wish list.

I can only pray that that same someone would offer it in a format that would play on US DVD players without the need for a multi-regional DVD player, or special software to enable decoding. Ah me, the set remains on my amazon.com wish list.

The next time your DVD player wears out, why not replace it with an all-region one? Then you'll never be limited by national borders. This article, quoted in part below, explains the "logic" behind region codes. http://ice.he.net/~hedden/DVD_video_standards.html For me, the crux of the matter is in the phrase that I've bolded.

"What Is the Reason for DVD Region Codes?
The official reason why the system of region codes was established was to make it possible to release a film in one region, for example North America, before it was released in another region, for example Europe, and prevent people in the region where the film has not yet been released (in this case Europe) from buying DVDs from the region where the film was first released (in this case North America); that is, to prevent Europeans from buying the North American version. The rationale was that if too many Europeans bought the North American version, this would cut into sales of the European versions. However, since DVDs of even very old films such as Casablanca (Warner Bros., 1942) have region codes, many people suspect that the real reason for them is to enforce price differentials in different markets (see SPEECH/01/275 of Mario Monti, European Commissioner for Competition Policy, entitled Content, Competition and Consumers: Innovation and Choice), similar to how pharmaceutical companies enforce price differentials between the USA and Canada for the same drugs. For example, as of this writing the film Syriana (Warner Bros., 2005) costs from US$5.99 (Amazon.com) to US$14.99 (Barnes & Noble) in North America, whereas in Germany I paid 15.99 Euros for it (purchased at the Saturn store in the PEP shopping center at Hanns-Seidel-Platz in Neuperlach Zentrum in the summer of 2007)."

When I used to buy books in the 1960s I always noticed that UK editions were not for sale in USA and Canada for copyright reasons. Basically same approach. At that time it was rare to have an American copy of a book as costs and logistics were much harder to work round. Now a lot more common

I see our old friends ZAVVI are up to their old tricks again. They had the Box Set for £39.99 but sold out. It is now
£51.99 and guess what Sold Out

I feel Victor Meldrew Email coming on to our Friends at Zavvi having been hoodwinked into trying to buy the box set for a friend when Terry first spotted the bargain only for it to be cancelled and my money refunded. I now receive the odd email offering bargains as they have my mail address after registering to buy the DVD.

I feel Victor Meldrew Email coming on to our Friends at Zavvi having been hoodwinked into trying to buy the box set for a friend when Terry first spotted the bargain only for it to be cancelled and my money refunded. I now receive the odd email offering bargains as they have my mail address after registering to buy the DVD.
Me to, so don`t feel you are on your own.:22:

I have 1 original box set (slightly used) For £55 inc postage, UK only can accept PayPal

If anyone hears of this complete set being sold again - especially at this price, please let me know. Even with shipping to the US the cost would be worth it. I recently bought one of the 4 episode Christmas specials, and love it.
I see Amazon have it now £54.19.
Coming down slowly.

Back