BBC

Big Unc

Dedicated Member
I feel like a rant. Who better to target than the BBC, particularly BBC TV and BBC TV News. (I do find that generally there is more sense, more balance, more informed reporting, as opposed to so called TV reporters opinionating, on BBC Radio, particularly Radio 4).
I could not care less about England’s performance in the World Cup. I am much more worried by the England Rugby loss in New Zealand. But I cannot stand inaccuracy. Time and time again on BBC TV News it has been stated this is the worst England performance in the World Cup since1958. What is totally ignored is that since 1958 England have totally failed to qualify three times, including twice in succession in 1974 and 1978. Now that is categorically far, far worse than losing the first two matches at the Group stage in the finals.

Another idiocy – this time on BBC Teletext on the Rugby League Fixtures page for today (and this one is a regular occurrence on all sport fixture page). One match there as a fixture today has a subsequent note stating ‘Postponed until Friday 20th June’ (in other words, yesterday). Now, how can a match be postponed until yesterday. And indeed, the match was never intended to be played today. It was always scheduled for yesterday.

Trivial matters, I know, but it does concern me when there are so many issues facing the world and it is so critical that we are correctly informed. There was a time when BBC insisted on standards but sadly has now allowed itself to become second rate.

Big U

sadly so true. But where can we get unbiased accurate reporting?

Often feel I should go back to doing what I did 50 years ago - read the Guardian and the Telegraph on the same event and assume the truth was in the middle of those two accounts!

p

Trivial matters, I know, but it does concern me when there are so many issues facing the world and it is so critical that we are correctly informed.

I know Big Unc, same issues here. They will spend 5 minutes on Kim
Kardasians relationships, and as for the "police actions" our boys are fighting in the middle east they may spend 2 minutes. Now we are having illegals from Central America, getting drivers license, voting cards, with thanks to our president.

I now get my news from the internet. A bit of a rebel but I listen to Alex Jones for the truth. He has a reporter from London by the name of Paul Joseph Roberts. We in the states are being lied to by our bought off media. The president actually wanted to tell them what not to air, yet they still filter things out.

You gotta love Auntie Beeb, she costs us a fortune and puts nothing worthwhile on any more. Now that not having a licence is to be decriminalised the price with probably shoot up. I'm actually looking forward to being 70!

No wanting to start WW3 but do any of you think its time for "Adverts" instead of a licence?

Gotta say, I have been downloading British TV shows off the
net for a few years, but lately the pickings are mighty slim.
Not too many shows worth the effort any more.

On all of the shows from the BBC, it's impossible to read the credits, they run them real fast and with the smallest font ever.

On all of the shows from the BBC, it's impossible to read the credits, they run them real fast and with the smallest font ever.

I think they must speed them up over there because I've never noticed it here. I could be lying of cause.
I've found some American shows do that, I think its a time constraint issue.

You gotta love Auntie Beeb, she costs us a fortune and puts nothing worthwhile on any more. Now that not having a licence is to be decriminalised the price with probably shoot up. I'm actually looking forward to being 70!

No wanting to start WW3 but do any of you think its time for "Adverts" instead of a licence?

Adverts or subscription Pearl,they would struggle with present content either way to raise any money,currently it's well paid jobs for the top tier and the rest can put up with it, because the money rolls in regardless

It annoys me when they pay millions for a so called funny man, whom I always switch off from, to grace our screens once a week and then put rubbish on the rest of the week. I think of all my bills I begrudge the Licence Fee the most. I think they have become too complacent about the" money rolling in regardless", I think they need to start competing with other stations and start earning their keep.

I HATE television adverts ... many make me want to throw something at the screen ... they are louder than the programme they interrupt, portray us women as gormless creatures mainly interested in some cleaning product ... argh ... then all the clean, happy little children ...

I watch little telly but tend to stick with BBC programmes which are bad enough with all their adverts about programmes they will be showing.

The licence fee not a unduly harsh sum ... they could lower the cut off age ... what is it now? 70?

Howlett (old Yorkshire name) and as plain speaking as they come ...

I HATE television adverts ... many make me want to throw something at the screen ... they are louder than the programme they interrupt, portray us women as gormless creatures mainly interested in some cleaning product ... argh ... then all the clean, happy little children ...

I watch little telly but tend to stick with BBC programmes which are bad enough with all their adverts about programmes they will be showing.

The licence fee not a unduly harsh sum ... they could lower the cut off age ... what is it now? 70?

Howlett (old Yorkshire name) and as plain speaking as they come ...

Its not a huge sum of money I agree but I still feel its a waste of money. Maybe they should give us a say on what they spend it on then we'd just have ourselves to moan at :)

Back