Barry's first run or second - which was best?

wstol

Dedicated Member
Inspired by the comment on the Foggy thread, was Barry at his best during his first or second stint?

Incidently, Barry and Foggy were only in a handful of episodes together.

In his first run, Barry was perhaps a bit tougher. He sometimes wore overalls, which he wouldn't want to do later on.

Sometimes i like Barry the character and sometimes not so much. I wish he would stand up for himself sometimes. A marmite character i suppose - you either love or hate him!

for me his second run, when he came back he had matured a lot and towards the end became more involved in plots, summat that only happened once or twice in his first run i think

Glenda was always a bit of a marmite character for me. I always felt a bit sorry for Barry in his first run. In his second run he had a much more comical role and he seemed more involved with the boys.

Glenda was always a bit of a marmite character for me. I always felt a bit sorry for Barry in his first run. In his second run he had a much more comical role and he seemed more involved with the boys.

Completely agree with you mate.

Barry seemed to be in a world of his own first time round ,second time he was a bit more woken up and evry now and again stood his ground.But Glenda was the boss remember the suit that turned left ,she was trained well by Edie and had extra training from the ladies!

That was the problem , some shows it was all "I've lost my Barry!!" Other shows it was "Do it now Barry!!" ??? ;)

I don't even recall two separate runs with Barry. My earliest memory of him is his overly enthusiastic singing at one of the wedding episodes. Did Barry first appear during the Seymour era? That seemed to bring out a lot of new characters; Edie, Wesley, Barry, and Glenda.

Also, when exaactly did he first leave and come back? I always liked Barry. I guess I do recall a younger Barry and an older one. I think I prefer the younger Barry, although the older character being obsessed with his car is pretty good too.

He was introduced in Seymour's first episode Uncle of the Bride he left for about 6 years I think?! Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, then he came back. Just to shock you Cod I agree with you :eek: :eek: ;D ;D I liked the younger one too :D

Barrys first run ended with " Barry's Christmas " in1990.He returned in 1996 in the Christmas special " Extra Extra" I think the dates are right but of course I could be lying ;)

mike grady first appeared in the 1986 new year special "Uncle of the Bride" he then appeared in the show till the 1990 christmas special "Barry's Christmas", he then didnt appear for 6 years until he returned in the 1996 christmas special "Extra, Extra" and stayed with the show till its final episode in 2010 "How Not to Cry at Weddings", so his first spell was 1986-1990 and his second was 1996-2010.

mike grady first appeared in the 1986 new year special "Uncle of the Bride" he then appeared in the show till the 1990 christmas special "Barry's Christmas", he then didnt appear for 6 years until he returned in the 1996 christmas special "Extra, Extra" and stayed with the show till its final episode in 2010 "How Not to Cry at Weddings", so his first spell was 1986-1990 and his second was 1996-2010.
Thanks Darren I was right with the end and restart dates then :)

tough,preferred his second run but my 2 favourite Barry moments-getting flattened by the hay bale and Edie accidentally locking him in the Pegden's house,are from his first spell

Liked Barry ok he was under Glendas thumb but his contributions were always funny such as being on the runaway piano in his white suit or when he got stuck in the lotus position. He evolved a lot during the later part of the show and was a major player in the end. Mike Grady portrayed the character brilliantly and his on screen partnership with Sarah Thomas was perfection.

one of my favourite characters, i agree with most comments that his second run was his strongest and my favourite episode with barry is "there goes the groom" :)

I think i preferred the earlier Barry to be honest.
In his second run, i felt that the parts where Glenda was calling him a monster for thinking he was carrying on with other women.
It was starting to get on my wick slightly, with Glenda being rather nasty with him and then all smiles again when he said what she wanted to hear, it made him come across as more wimpy than he used to be.

G ; )

Back