barry and Glenda

footy

in last of the summer wine are the characters Barry and Glenda supposed be younger than the actors who play them I know Mike Grady who plays Barry is 63 and Sarah Thomas who plays Glenda is 57 does anyone know how old they are supposed to be

I know. Barry is old enough and should have been made one of the three new main characters.

Barry was introduced as the husband to be of Glenda who was Wesley's daughter so should be a generation away from Compo and Cleggy and so on.

Cleggy in 1972 was the newly redundant Co-op lino salesman and not yet drawign Old Age Pension. There were several attempts at getting work - remember "Shiny Glow". And Foggy kept thinking of ideas to create money as he would have been discharged from the Army in 1977, so about 50ish then.

The birth yera of Clegg's wife in the pilot is not clear on the tombstone - thus no clues there. We do know that from First of.... Clegg should have been born about 1920 or 1921 (much the same age as the actor!)

However that scenario would make Barry now into his 50s - so quite close.

I guess that actual age has always deliberately been indeterminate - as this could constrain the story lines.

Back