Auntie Wainwright-was she a widow?

I thought she may have mentioned a husband to someone in the later episodes. She tied in the conversation with making profits. Can anyone recall exactly what episode and what she said? She may have been talking to Tom or Smiler.

I am sure she said in one episode that she had been engaged many years ago, but dumped him, when he spent alot of money on the engagement ring. I can't remember which episode it was though.

I am sure she said in one episode that she had been engaged many years ago, but dumped him, when he spent alot of money on the engagement ring. I can't remember which episode it was though.

Yes, that is what I was originally referring to. I don't remember the exact episode but recently saw it on my Public Television's rotation of the show. It was approximately from 2005-2008.

Auntie Wainright was always very frugal. She probably kept the engagemnet ring and sold it.

Auntie would only marry if there was a chance she could aquire another business not for love she had a heart of stone and also I think she thought men weak.

The reason she broke off her engagement was that her partner didn't get the discount on the ring that she could have done. Grumpy

As I mentioned before in this topic, Auntie made a comment sometime back about being engaged at one point, (I believe she told Smiler or Tom somewhere in the 2005-08 era).

Now I just watched The Rights of Man (Except Howard). She told Tom she was this close (holding her fingers up and close together) to marrying a Yank.But I was distracted by my kids afterwards and missed what she then said.

As I mentioned before in this topic, Auntie made a comment sometime back about being engaged at one point, (I believe she told Smiler or Tom somewhere in the 2005-08 era).

Now I just watched The Rights of Man (Except Howard). She told Tom she was this close (holding her fingers up and close together) to marrying a Yank.But I was distracted by my kids afterwards and missed what she then said.

OK here it is from The Rights of man (Except Howard)

Tom: What experience have you had in romantic affairs?
Auntie: You might be surprised
Tom: I certainly would
Auntie: I came that close (holding up her fingers close together) to being a GI bride.
Tom: I can't see you with the Yanks
Auntie: It wasn't with the Yanks. I was with one Yank.

Sentimental music starts

Auntie: We had a beautiful thing going. He could get coffee and nylons and I could sell them.

End of scene

Back