Auf Wiedersehen pet

Your thoughts on this series please.One of my fave shows ever.

Never really got into it when it first run,but it enjoyed it when it was released years later on DVD, I do remember them being at Elstree studios when they blew the huts up late one night,that caused a few local problems

The first two series were wonderful. I think series 2 just shades it. The comeback series with the Bridge in Arizona was certainly watchable after a long lay off, and the Cuba series and the 'special' were OK, but perhaps a series too far.
At its peak, it was one of the finest pieces of TV entertainment ever made.

yeah great in its day esp the 80's series. watched one the other day and it was good ( they are in germany ) and was reminded that Gary Holton has been gone quite a few years! he was not a bad boy apparently as you might thing, he did alot of charity stuff with jimmy saville! r i p gary holton!

As a Geordie I cannot stand this damned accent so the whole thing grated on me big time.As did When the boat comes in.

It gave most of it's stars a good start in the business. Most of them have done very well since. Timothy Spall, Kevin Whately, and Tim Healy in particular. I love the accent so it went down well with me. At least they were all real geordies, unlike Brenda Blethin's Vera. I loved the third series where they moved the transporter bridge to the US. I really thought they had moved it!!!!!!!!!!!!! Silly me.

Really liked the first two series, I couldn't get into the new episodes though

I love it, as a north east man born and bred i must sort of agree with george about the accent. Even though i sound a bit like them (but more sophisticated being from Sunderland!!) the accent does sometimes sound, well silly.
I wonder if this is the same with other accents?

I am a southerner born and bred, but my mother was a Geordie. Most of my relatives still live in Jarrow. In my family I have noticed that the younger members are easier to understand, some of the older ones still sound like Oz!

Can I just mention that my Grandad was on the Jarrow March. All of us cousins bring that into any conversation. It's tradition.

Liked it for years,all the 7 were good,but Wayne,Barry and Moxey in partcular IMO.There are characters like Magowan everywhere sadly

To go off topic a bit, my parents were from Sunderland and I understand what some of you are saying about the dodgy accents.
It grates on me too, even though I was brought up in the Midlands I can spot a fake accent a mile off. Vera's is awful but I do like the series.
I heard one once I think it was a Cathrine Cookson ( Not my thing, but my mam loved it) and the actor was supposed to be a Gordie and he sounded Welsh!! Made me cringe!

Funny, that. When English, American or any other non Welsh person tries to do a Welsh accent they always sound sort of Bombay-Welsh. Know what I mean? Accents must be hard work for actors!

Funny, that. When English, American or any other non Welsh person tries to do a Welsh accent they always sound sort of Bombay-Welsh. Know what I mean? Accents must be hard work for actors!

'Bombay-Welsh' just made me chuckle! It's a very good description of bad accents!

lol My daughters mother in law is Welsh and when my cheeky grandaughter try's to do the accent she sounds Jamaican ;D

Back