Attempted to introduce my boyfriend to Summer Wine

Yeah that would be a good investment and I do have a boyfriend with a DVD player (I don't think I have one unless it's in storage somewhere) and that would be another good way to get him to watch with me!

I can really recommend watching the entire series from the very beginning to the end in order. It will take you a while but it's really enjoyable watching the passage of time and the evolution of the characters. I'm presently watching it all the way through for the second time!
Watching the eras gradually (and not so gradually) change by watching from the very beginning is fantastic. Although, for someone new to Summer Wine or that style of comedy, the Blamire years take getting accustomed to (at least some of the more dialogue-driven episodes like 40 Foot Ferret. For a brand-new Yankee viewer, starting with season 3 might work best.

I absolutely LOVE the Blamire years now, but it took me a while to really appreciate them.

You can certainly watch the first dozen or so episodes in order on Dailymotion but then there is a few missing, if you like it you can always invest in the DVD boxset. It's about £60 over here so I'm guessing it'd cost you around $100 over there. But that probably works out at about 30 cents an episode which is a bargain in my opinion :D
In the US (at least) BritBox streaming is the best bang for the buck (about $7 USD/month) for the first eight seasons.

Watching the eras gradually (and not so gradually) change by watching from the very beginning is fantastic. Although, for someone new to Summer Wine or that style of comedy, the Blamire years take getting accustomed to (at least some of the more dialogue-driven episodes like 40 Foot Ferret. For a brand-new Yankee viewer, starting with season 3 might work best.

I absolutely LOVE the Blamire years now, but it took me a while to really appreciate them.
That is a really good point, the very early episodes do take some getting used to, I remember it took me a while to work out if it was a comedy or not when I first saw them!

I can really recommend watching the entire series from the very beginning to the end in order. It will take you a while but it's really enjoyable watching the passage of time and the evolution of the characters. I'm presently watching it all the way through for the second time!
Not to mention the evolution of Holmfirth and the other towns used as settings. As the mills closed, the stone exteriors of the buildings began to look cleaner. The café exterior would have required at least a weekly wash while the mill smokestacks were spewing coal smoke, so light-colored paint would have been impractical. As people lost their "yuck" reaction to the concept of having the toilet in the house, the outside WCs disappeared. The River Holme and Ribble Beck no longer ran different colors depending on the color of the dyes being used at the dye works. I'm sure there were other, more subtle, changes as well.

Some residents still mourn those and other changes, and blame LOTSW for causing them by attracting tourists, but they would have happened anyway. It wasn't the series and the tourists that caused them, is was the evolution of society.

Not to mention the evolution of Holmfirth and the other towns used as settings. As the mills closed, the stone exteriors of the buildings began to look cleaner. The café exterior would have required at least a weekly wash while the mill smokestacks were spewing coal smoke, so light-colored paint would have been impractical. As people lost their "yuck" reaction to the concept of having the toilet in the house, the outside WCs disappeared. The River Holme and Ribble Beck no longer ran different colors depending on the color of the dyes being used at the dye works. I'm sure there were other, more subtle, changes as well.

Some residents still mourn those and other changes, and blame LOTSW for causing them by attracting tourists, but they would have happened anyway. It wasn't the series and the tourists that caused them, is was the evolution of society.
As usual you make some wonderful points there! Holmfirth has evolved into a very upmarket place to live and visit. Yes it would have changed with the passage of time but without the tourists it could have easily evolved into an area of social deprivation and crime which plagues many other Yorkshire towns, particularly ex mining towns. The boutique shops and trendy wine bars in Holmfirth has LOTSW to thank for their their very existence IMHO

As usual you make some wonderful points there! Holmfirth has evolved into a very upmarket place to live and visit. Yes it would have changed with the passage of time but without the tourists it could have easily evolved into an area of social deprivation and crime which plagues many other Yorkshire towns, particularly ex mining towns. The boutique shops and trendy wine bars in Holmfirth has LOTSW to thank for their their very existence IMHO
Most of the comments on the Holmfirth Community Facebook Group are friendly and indicate that it's a community of people who go out of their way to be helpful to one another. There are a few, though, who deplore boutique shops and wine bars, and mourn the loss of the butcher shop, the news agent at the top of Victoria Street whose shop recently closed, and the fact that Andrew's Greengrocer is underused in favor of the supermarket. I, too, will miss the newsagent's shop, and I'd miss Andrew's if they closed. I buy a couple of pieces of whatever fruit is in season each day while I'm staying in the village.

There is crime there, but not the violent crime that's reported in the larger towns across West, South, and North Yorkshire. There's relatively a lot of vehicle theft, and attempted break-ins, but little or no violence against the person.

All of this is from the point of view of an American, resident in a typical Northeast village next door to a very small city, who visits Holmfirth as often as possible and the rest of the time is immersed in news of the area, as well as in older British fiction. I seldom surface to participate in life in the US.

Holmfirth sounds better than Calhoun Falls, the only thing we've got going for us is the lake. Tourists like our camp grounds so we get a lot of people coming to camp here in the Spring and Summer. As far as people who live here, everyone is judgmental and no one knows how to mind their own business. I'm leaving as soon as I can move in with Steve.

Lol it pretty much is! Imagine being a Marina in a town full of Pearl's! Lol I know something about one of the most vicious Pearl's in this town and if I was a mean person, I'd reveal it and ruin her life, but I'm just not that type of person. That being said, she can say whatever she wants about me, I don't really care, but she can't keep talking about my mom or I will say something she's not going to like! Lol

My friend who just got out of the psych ward said they had BritBox there. When I was there, we just watched Netflix so I didn't know they had BritBox, but if I do end up having to go back, I might see if I can get people to watch BritBox. Everyone has to agree on what to watch or the staff won't even turn the TV on. I hope I don't end up having to go back tho because I know I'm not doing great but I don't think I'm in trouble just yet. My boyfriend keeps telling me to go and my mom says she'll take me whenever I'm ready, but unless I end up in immediate danger before my appointment at the mental health clinic, I think I'd rather wait and listen to the professionals who are treating me. But the fact that they have BritBox is one positive if I do end up going back! Lol

Most of the comments on the Holmfirth Community Facebook Group are friendly and indicate that it's a community of people who go out of their way to be helpful to one another. There are a few, though, who deplore boutique shops and wine bars, and mourn the loss of the butcher shop, the news agent at the top of Victoria Street whose shop recently closed, and the fact that Andrew's Greengrocer is underused in favor of the supermarket. I, too, will miss the newsagent's shop, and I'd miss Andrew's if they closed. I buy a couple of pieces of whatever fruit is in season each day while I'm staying in the village.

There is crime there, but not the violent crime that's reported in the larger towns across West, South, and North Yorkshire. There's relatively a lot of vehicle theft, and attempted break-ins, but little or no violence against the person.

All of this is from the point of view of an American, resident in a typical Northeast village next door to a very small city, who visits Holmfirth as often as possible and the rest of the time is immersed in news of the area, as well as in older British fiction. I seldom surface to participate in life in the US.
Great point about observing the changes in Holmfirth over the years. Holmfirth in the early and mid 70's seems like a world away.

There is also observing Ivy's Cafe over the years!

Sadly super markets and online shopping have put paid to many of the traditional town centre shops such as butchers and greengrocers. It's quite a contentious subject over here in the UK as shops are saying they simply cannot compete with online retailers and often people will even browse their products in High Street shops then buy online at a lower cost. Many have been lobbying for lower VAT (a UK tax on goods) in small retail shops to level the playing field. Without wanting to talk politics, I would happily pay higher tax for my online goods if I knew it was helping shops in my local town....

Back