Arrangement of houses in narrow valleys

barmpot

LOTSW Fanatic
I know we have often discussed this before with bedrooms not being where they should and this has been prompted by a photograph of the other side of Norah"s house on FB. The attached diagram is my attempt to describe how the houses intermingle.

As well as doing this along the side elevation it also happened along the other elevation as well which is why bedrooms were not where you expected. I happen to know this layout as I stayed in a house two doors down from Norah's once and the layout was as shown on the left of my diagram although I was told there were other variations.

H! and H@ refer to separate dwellings - you will see there were seven rooms in all - possible all in one hosue but split various ways with extra stairs incorporated to make it work!

All about under-dwellings and flying freeholds. Too describe this using only words is possibly not the easiest task - but I bet some one here will be able to do so!

upload_2017-1-30_19-48-25.png

Thank you barmpot for this. I had not realized there could be such an elevation difference between streets on either side of a house. I had not thought about under-dwellings and freeholds before.

Often wondered about the door on the little patio area where Compo would turn left to go down the stairs to his place. Never saw anyone use it in the series. Alvin had a table and chairs with umbrella set up there at least once. The furniture would have blocked anyone from using the door if they lived there.

The door to the right of Compo's on his same level and the other side of the stairs seemed to be a storage area. I remember Compo getting a bicycle from there in one episode.

Often wondered about the door on the little patio area where Compo would turn left to go down the stairs to his place. Never saw anyone use it in the series. Alvin had a table and chairs with umbrella set up there at least once. The furniture would have blocked anyone from using the door if they lived there.

In "Who's That Dancing With Nora Batty", we see Gloria stand up from scouring that doorstep to go talk with Nora. But you're right that no one is ever shown entering or exiting by that door.

Noticed my OP had H! and H@ which should of course said H1 and H2 - but can not edit a post - it seems. Our facilities are reducing

Back