Arkwright's till

RickAns

Dedicated Member
I got to wondering the other day while thinking about Still Open All Hours. I've thought about this before and did a search to see if myself or any others have posted on it. If we have then the thread is eluding me. Let me know if I have missed it please. If I have posted this before, then my apologies.

It is hinted to that the spirit of Arkwright is keeping watch over the shop and looking out for the till by Granville. It is well known that the till has a mind of it's own and that something controls it (not talking about a props guy). If Arkwright is controlling it in Still Open who was controlling it during Open All Hours? I don't remember Arkwright talking about his dad or family owning the shop before him. Maybe he bought the till second hand knowing his penchant for a bargain. Was it mentioned who or what controlled the till when Arkwright was alive?

I have a feeling ( I may be wrong, it's been know on a couple of occasions) that it was mentioned in an episode that it was his father's or at least the shop was. It's been a while since I watched but when I do I'll make a note of it.

Thank you so much, Pearl. I had completely missed any references to Arkwright's father and the shop. That adds a nice new dimension to the story of the show. Will need to pay more attention for that on my next watch through.

I have the box set so I'll have marathon soon and keep an eye out. Thinking about it there's a picture hanging up which he looks at when he's talking about it. I'm on a quest now, watch this space

I can confirm Pearl/Rick that Arkwright's Dad did own the shop. In one episode Arkwright refers to a photograph of his father which I think was hanging in the same place as the one of Arkwright that Granville refers to .

Great work you two. I knew this would be the right place to ask. I'm wanting to start watching it from the beginning to find the episode(s) that you both are talking about. I would like to get the box set of this too one day. As of now I rent the DVD's through Netflix. Curious as to what Arkwright's dad looked like in his picture.

On to 3.

One thing I've noticed, Arkwright sells Co Op tinned carrots!

Last edited:
Thank you, Pearl. You are great. I have them queued up and should be arriving soon. Looking forward to watching the show again.

Also a bit of trivia, the man from Australia is called Arthur White, how's that significant?

On Still Open, he did this thing covering up the buttons with a dish towel, put money in and the til behaved.

'Chalky' White from Australia who stopped by to see Nurse Gladys, was he mentioned in LotSW? That who you mean, @Pearl ?

I saw the episode you mentioned @captain clutterbuck about the picture of Arkwright's dad. His picture seemed by the door from the kitchen area to the store front area. The picture of Arkwright in Still Open seems to be in the kitchen area by the door leading to the rear storage area. They do show a blurry picture of Arkwright's dad beside a shop front on Canal Street.

In an earlier episode that I should have made a note instead of trying to remember and now forgetting which. Granville asks Arkwright something close to 'if you don't like my mom so much why do you still have her picture?' Arkwright then goes on to tell Granville that his mom is Arkwright's half sister through another mom. Seems they shared the same dad who I got the impression from Arkwright liked the ladies. Arkwright said something else that I cannot remember. May go back later to find it.

This just leaves me with even more questions, haha! Like, what happened to Granville's mom? Did she pass away and Arkwright took up care of Granville? What happened to Arkwright's half-sister's mom? Who was the older of the two - Arkwright or his half sister Granville's mom? I'm guessing Arkwright is older because no mention yet of his dad marrying another and having more kids.

It must have been hard times for the Arkwright's if both mother and daughter passed away early and left their kids to family. Or did they have a kid, dropped them off with family and left? It seems like a recurring theme - Arkwright's half sisters's mom not around, Granville's mom not around, Leroy's mom not around while they are growing up. At least Leroy's mom is still alive, he just does not know of her. That is who I think the Paula Wilcox character is Leroy's mom through a fling with Granville. Has me thankful to of had both my parents around while growing up.

Maybe I need to stop thinking so deeply into the backstories of the characters on TV shows I like. If a writer leaves a trail of breadcrumbs for a characters' story arc. Sometimes I like to follow it to see where it leads. My dad was big into family history stuff, maybe I got this inquisitiveness from him.

Have they even said what Arkwright's first name is? I think I have only heard him referred to as Arkwright, even by his love interest nurse Gladys. Even if done in a half joking manner Arkwright certainly makes a lot of comments about Granville's mom and her affectionate nature towards others.

That's right @Adanor , I had forgotten about that.

Last edited:
Ok, the half sister is Granvilles mam, she was Arkwrights half sister and she passed away, there was no daughter, I know it gets confusing. Yes Chalky White meaning Arthur White was the character from Australia, Arthur White is also the name ( in real life ) of David Jason's brother.

Back