Anyone fancy living in the TV version of Holmfirth ?

C

CompoSimmonite

One of the things I love about the programs are they take me back to a simpler time without all the trouble and stress of living in the real world ;D
Of course even the fictitious characters will have had bills to pay, etc but I don't let that spoil my dreaming.
When I visit a local town (Leek, Staffs) sometimes I view it like my own version of Holmfirth and find myself drifting into where would the cafe be, Wesley shed location, Compo & Nora's houses and so on.
Does anyone else find themselves dreaming of such idilic times and adapting their own area into being a Holmfirth clone ?

Paul h

You hit the nail on the head Susan. I would love to live in places that we see. The serenity. When I travel around europe I seek Piazzas and like to sit outside a Cafe and watch the world go by. I would love a small house in a French village surrounded by grape vines etc.

To true I would happily live in a place like Holmfirth,not to far to major twns and gorgeous countryside on the doorstep also I like Yorkshire people.Sadly round were I live its being ruined by massive house building projects as compensation I can reach some beatuiful country quickly.But it is nice to dream every time I see the show I dream.

If I may also add I love good wholesome Yorkshire food. Do I have any invites?????

If I may also add I love good wholesome Yorkshire food. Do I have any invites?????

When I was in Holmfirth a month or so ago I bought a cake. Like nothing I've seen or tasted before so now understand why "buns" are such a popular item in the programs as they must be a staple food of the area ;D

Paul h

When I was in Holmfirth a month or so ago I bought a cake. Like nothing I've seen or tasted before so now understand why "buns" are such a popular item in the programs as they must be a staple food of the area ;D

Paul h

All apropos of nothiing at all, how does one distinguish between a cake and a bun? ;) ;)

Unc I think a bun is made with yeast and a cake is made without yeast and is of a lighter texture,my other half makes wonderful cakes maybe the bun eaten was parkin a northern delicacy.

Hello Everyone, I am back from a miniature vacation.

Part of my attraction to Summer Wine is that to me it is an example of an ideal retirement, aimlessly roaming around the countryside, an occasional stop for a tea or a beer, in constant good company of friends, meeting interesting people along the way, etc.

I know my own life, for example, is often the opposite. It can be quite hectic and stressful.

Of course Summer Wine, is a bit of fantasy. Someone me mentioned bills to pay. Such things would exist but were never part of the show (except for an occasional financial problem with Compo or Tom). Also, here is another thing to consider. Decades of this show with a somewhat elderly cast, and (aside from Compo's heart attack) no sign of health problems, doctor visits, hospitalizations, etc.

So unfortunately, living a TOTALLY care free life, isn't possible. When the time comes may of us will just have to shoot for a life as close as possible to this.

One observation I always noted about Summer Wine, as well as Clarke's Keeping Up Appearances. These shows seem like horrible interpretations of married life, and I am married! This is especially the case with Summer Wine. So I guess by being marrried, though I am happily married, I am even further removed from the "Summer Wine Trio" lifestyle.

Unc I think a bun is made with yeast and a cake is made without yeast and is of a lighter texture,my other half makes wonderful cakes maybe the bun eaten was parkin a northern delicacy.

That makes sense, Chris. A bun is a sweet form of bread - includes some form of sugar or other sweetening and fruit. Would you say Chelsea Buns (if one is allowed to mention Chelsea to a 'Spurs supporter) contained yeast?

But across the UK we do confuse our terms cake, bun bread/loaf, scone, biscuit (not to be confused with the US biscuit which I suppose is a form of bread and for our biscuit they say cookie) and even pancake.

I would call "Parkin" cake rather than bun: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkin_(cake).
And gingerbread is certainly not bread but nowadays a cake or a biscuit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gingerbread.
Remember Arkwright's Jamaica Ginger Cake in an "Open All Hours" episode.

What in some parts are called tea cakes are really buns. And from my neck of the woods, Scotch pancakes (the other use of that word "Scotch") are not Shrove Tuesday pancakes but what some would call "drop scones" which in turn are very unlike what is conventionally called a scone.

Please don't mention Jamaican Ginger Cake.
Every time I see that episode I run over the road to buy one. ;D

Also the use of the words cake and bun are used differently everywhere in the UK, My mam used to go into a cob shop and ask for a barncake they used to look at her has if she had 2 heads ;D

Please don't mention Jamaican Ginger Cake.
Every time I see that episode I run over the road to buy one. ;D

Also the use of the words cake and bun are used differently everywhere in the UK, My mam used to go into a cob shop and ask for a barncake they used to look at her has if she had 2 heads ;D

We are back to Arte Johnson in Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In, as "Wolfgang", the smoking World War II German soldier scouting the show from behind a bush (still fighting the war) and his catchphrase "Ve--rrrrrry interrrrrestink...".

I thought the Jamaican Ginger Cake effect was on men.

And do you mean barncake or barm cake: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barm_cake which we all know is bread - I first came across it in Manchester.

The different uses of cake and bun everwhere in the UK was very much my point. And you manage to introduce yet another term, "cob".

Don't need the TV version! I'd kill to be able to live
in the REAL Holmfirth. It's in a lovely valley surrounded
by steep hillsides. The pubs are great. The folks seem nice
and friendly. The views while strolling the hills are
marvelous. And it's not all that far to the Dales as well.

Now if I could just figger out what to do with 2200 square
feet of furniture, a house with 3 cars, and the cat ... I'd
be on the next flight over.

As others have alluded to here, the idyllic setting of Holmfirth and the care-free life of the trio is something that just warms my heart. Seeing as how my life is filled with non-stop stress and aggravation, watching LOTSW is a nice change of pace. Since I became a fan of the show, I've imagined that when i pass on, Heaven will be a mirror image of Holmfirth, where I can spend my days living a very peaceful and serene afterlife, roaming the hills and sharing the occasional tea and buns or pint of ale with Compo, Clegg and Foggy. Nothing quite like a simple life free from the distractions and temptations that make one veer off the straight and narrow. Well, it gives me something to hope for. If I never get to visit Holmfirth and the surrounding countryside in my life, then maybe God will take care of that in the next. I would be very happy and content if that were the case.

As others have alluded to here, the idyllic setting of Holmfirth and the care-free life of the trio is something that just warms my heart. Seeing as how my life is filled with non-stop stress and aggravation, watching LOTSW is a nice change of pace. Since I became a fan of the show, I've imagined that when i pass on, Heaven will be a mirror image of Holmfirth, where I can spend my days living a very peaceful and serene afterlife, roaming the hills and sharing the occasional tea and buns or pint of ale with Compo, Clegg and Foggy. Nothing quite like a simple life free from the distractions and temptations that make one veer off the straight and narrow. Well, it gives me something to hope for. If I never get to visit Holmfirth and the surrounding countryside in my life, then maybe God will take care of that in the next. I would be very happy and content if that were the case.

Excellently stated, Manfromoswestry.

The setting is a big attraction to the show, maybe almost as much as the characters themselves. Their simple escapades would quite be the same if they were in London, New York, etc. As I mentioned earlier, I think of the trio's lifestyle as the ideal retirement. I first started watching Summer wine during the Truly years and at that point, the trio were definitely at the retired state.

However, I recently discovered on this forum that the show first started with the guys in a state of redundancy (unemployed). Normally, especially nowadays, this would be the cause for extra stress and grief. Part of the irony of the early years was the trio's carefree life during their unemployed status in a bad economy.

On a side note, Manfromoswestry, you previously wrote about the British Shows being interrupted by pledge drives. I will forward you an e-mail from my own PBS station about what they do to try to keep Summer Wine and other programs from being interrupted. You will find some of their info enlightening.

I swear, when I get to their age, i'm gonna move to holmfirth, as by then, no one will probably remember LOTSW (this probably looking at the 2070's or 2080's, as im 16 now).

Back