Any Virgin Media Customers

captain clutterbuck

LOTSW Fanatic
Oh no don't know if anyone is a Virgin Media Customer with Tivo service but they have failed to reach a deal with UKTV and so on Saturday Gold, Dave , Drama , UK Food and others will disappear from your Tivo service so no more LOTSW and old Comedy repeats available or the new Red Dwarf when its released only through the UKTV app online . It states unless there is an eleventh hour deal but that seems unlikely could be a swap to Sky

Might be following your lead , the galling thing is like Brut aftershave they couldn't wait to splash their hike in prices " All over" but most people found out about the removal of channels when they flicked to one of those channels ,that have now gone, to be met with an onscreen message that this channel will change at midnight 21/07/18 and will no longer be Gold but now " Drivel" .

I would not pay either sky or Virgin to watch uktv which is 50 percent owned by the BBC, why would you, as a licence payer you have already paid for these shows, it was clever marketing, stop showing all these wonderful shows on their main channels and fill the main channels with poor quality TV, hours of news, and endless repeats, this forces folk to look elsewhere and low and behold there is uktv, showing all the shows you enjoyed in the past, but you are not only paying again and again to watch them, you have the pleasure of all the adverts injected into shows not made for advertising. LOSW has the highest repeat viewing across all of the uktv channels, ask yourself why the BBC have never repeated it, along with many of the other classic shows, because they want more of your money, plus the vast amounts they charge the likes of sky and Virgin to broadcast them, I admire Virgin telling them to take a hike, its a shame sky don't have the nerve to do it as well, but they will be rubbing their hands when all the Virgin customers jump ship, it's all about the money, sky won't be staying with uktv because they like you.

... stop showing all these wonderful shows on their main channels and fill the main channels with poor quality TV, hours of news, and endless repeats, this forces folk to look elsewhere...
that sounds familiar.... must be global marketing "hey this worked for us, try it out on the suckers"

and then they keep chopping and changing channels of these shows.. Prisoner - an Aussie garbage show of the 80s is on UKTV here - it was made here, how dumb are people???
Then when they have repeated the same 20 episodes for 2-3 yrs, they swap it to another channel as a PREMIER... Its like M*A*S*H - it wont die.
Although I dont mind Fawlty Towers, its been on non stop for 12 mths here... every couple few days..... theres only 11 episodes..

that sounds familiar.... must be global marketing "hey this worked for us, try it out on the suckers"

and then they keep chopping and changing channels of these shows.. Prisoner - an Aussie garbage show of the 80s is on UKTV here - it was made here, how dumb are people???
Then when they have repeated the same 20 episodes for 2-3 yrs, they swap it to another channel as a PREMIER... Its like M*A*S*H - it wont die.
Although I dont mind Fawlty Towers, its been on non stop for 12 mths here... every couple few days..... theres only 11 episodes..
Do you mean PRISONER CELL BLOCK H ?? Could never get into it, although it was a talking point at the factory where I worked at the time.:confused2:

Another confrontation with Virgin again on Friday appears there has a been a long standing contractual issue with ITV and an eleventh hour settlement allowed Virgin to continue to broadcast ITV channels or they would have gone this weekend . You just think what next after two successive weekends when service has been threatened .

I can recall when satellite and cable TV was first available in the UK, someone pointed out that it is all well and good having all these TV channels available, but there is and will always be a limited amount of programming to go around, how right they were.
Also when satellite appeared there was two providers, Sky and BSB and the powers that be at the time said these must remain as there must always be competition in the marketplace, off course this did not last very long as it became SKY/BSB then just Sky, so if and when Virgin TV goes other than BT there will be no competition, no wonder the american company FOX are keen to get their hands on SKY.

The show was the butt of the critics anecdotes when it was shown in the UK not only the poor script but for the dramatic overacting and particularly the shocking scenery which was always moving when it shouldn't which can happen but the Production company would only re-shot but this group just left the shot in . It was shown late night on Terrestrial TV and managed quite good viewing figures and to an extent developed cult status in the UK which is baffling on every level.

It seems that gold is back on, on Virgin Media, I wonder what sort of deal UKTV did with Virgin, maybe UKTV realised the drop in advertising loss, even targeted by the advertisers, telling them that they will not pay as much with a x percent audience drop

Yippee it is , I managed to negotiate a £20 a month discount on my package at the time the channels were lost which suits me because to construct a deal , to restore the same services I had , would have increased my bill by £20 on top of what I paid to Virgin before the channels disappeared . For once I seem to have struck a good deal, never ever normally that lucky . I agree Terry , when I spoke to them the really helpful guy said they and UKTV were losing so much custom and Advertising Revenue a solution had to be found .

Last edited:
It is a Free set of channels which include most of UKTV channels Rick . Most UK Televison sets/PVR/DVD players have Freeview installed and you can purchase add on devices that offer you the channels . I could have used my TV or DVD recorder but the issue is UK Gold , it is not included so LOTSW and other shows would have remained unavailable if Virgin had not seen sense .

I have been with Virgin for a long time. It was originally Bradford Cable, then Yorkshire Cable, then Telewest before morphing into its present ownership. All the installation was free as I was one of the first to sign up in our area. Every so often I remind them I have been a customer since 1992 and complain about prices - funny but price drops or I get extras thrown in. These days I am only on basic TV as I only occasionally use it. However the broadband remains fine and I have had few issues with it especially compared to the experience of others.

Here in Virginia, one of the cable boxes was on the blink and so the cable company said they would bring a new one and when they came they said that they had to replace both cable boxes. The installer didn't really say much, he just installed. On the next bill, I found that I had been roped into a new feature which added a substantial amount to the cable bill. Oh well.

Back