Another Comedy Poll

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
Here is another Comedy Poll,I hope I have not duplicated any from the other list,if so well never mind,please choose 15 from this list,you have 14 days to vote,have fun

I voted but only picked 5 this time, there's one on there I would have loved to pick (Wyatt's Watchdog) but I've never seen it so I can't

I only picked 5 too, tried t vote for more but in all honesty 5 was all I could come up with. :'(

I can't vote in this one because there are too few here that I have actually seen. I am confused by the selection of this list. There are a lot of older shows but also new ones, like IT Crowd. This list seems very random. How did they select this?

I can't vote in this one because there are too few here that I have actually seen. I am confused by the selection of this list. There are a lot of older shows but also new ones, like IT Crowd. This list seems very random. How did they select this?

Not sure,but by the voting you may be able to find shows that you might enjoy

Not sure,but by the voting you may be able to find shows that you might enjoy

I voted anyway, to show my support for Waiting For God. The bits of Yes Prime Minister that I catch on Tuesday afternoons (before Summer Wine) seem really good, b ut I haven't seen enough of the show to vote for it.

Also, isn't it odd that a comedy poll would have FOTSW and not LOTSW? Sorry Fellow Summer Winos, I haven't seen enough of FOTSW to vote for it either.

The poll is supposed to be a poll of lesser known comedies, following on from the first poll which included LOTSW.

As said though, the programmes in this poll certainly is a mish mash of random programmes, a few decent ones, some awful ones, some unknown ones, and even some comedy drama (Common as Muck).

I found some programmes there I prefer to FOTSW, so didn't vote for that one.

Someone mentioned Ever Decreasing Circles being on neither list, which is a bit strange, but I gather both lists were sourced from somewhere else.

There are several programmes I like which aren't on either of the lists.

Very interesting to see how well Only When I Laugh has fared. Very good programme that, from the makers of Rising Damp.

Surprised to see Curry and Chips on the list. This only lasted six episodes in 1969, and was quite dreadful in my opinion. It was written by the usually reliable Johnny Speight, who wrote all the Alf Garnett programmes.

Clarence is at the top of my list. I really enjoyed it ,I wish they had made more .
Joe

This really is a right hotch potch - if I am allows to say that on television. I accept most are situation comedies but at least three, Morecambe and Wise, The Two Ronnies and Alas Smith and Jones, are in a different category all together.

This really is a right hotch potch - if I am allows to say that on television. I accept most are situation comedies but at least three, Morecambe and Wise, The Two Ronnies and Alas Smith and Jones, are in a different category all together.

But then you are a self confessed pedant, as I am .......

If anyone noticed I voted for the older comedies. I love them and don't care what anyone says. LOL

Sad to say I never saw The Glums. I have to try and find them on the internet somewhere.

Sad to say I never saw The Glums. I have to try and find them on the internet somewhere.

Never saw this on television. For me it was a radio sketch incorporated in the great Dick Bentley and Jimmy Edwards programme, "Take it from here":

"The premise of The Glums was the long engagement between Ron Glum and his long-term fiancée Eth. As a result of post-war austerity, long engagements were common in 1950s Britain. A typical episode would start in the pub, with Mr Glum (played by Jimmy Edwards) talking to the barman (played by Wallas Eaton). It would be closing time, and Mr Glum would start telling the week's story to the barman as a ruse for obtaining another pint of beer (or two). The story would be about some recent episode in the lives of Ron, Mr Glum's dim son (played by Dick Bentley), and Eth, a plain girl for whom Ron represented her only chance of marriage, played by June Whitfield. Bentley, who played the son, was almost thirteen years older than Edwards, who played the father."

The link with LOTSW is, of course, June Whitfield, Nellie.

Another link comes to mind Unc, the two lovers Ron and Eth had a catchphrase of sorts ""OH RON , YES ETH ?"" I was reminded of that when I first heard ""OH HOWARD , OH MARINA!"" :D

Back