Andrew Vines Replies to Your Questions

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Members

I will post each question and answer individually, you will know your own questions as I am not putting each members name against any of the questions, it does make an interesting read and I would like to thank Andrew for taking the time to answer these questions
Terry

Re: Andrew Vines Replies to Your Questions Q1

Q1.How did you become interested in Last of the Summer Wine as a TV Show?

A1.Well, like many other people, I’d grown up with the show. I was a kid when the first series, with Michael Bates, was shown, when, to be honest, a lot of the humour went over my head. I do recall starting to “get it” when Brian Wilde arrived as Foggy, and one memory that sticks in my mind is all of us at home – my parents, my brother and I – laughing helplessly at the scene in Isometrics And After when the three men brace themselves at the library table, and the table top comes off. Looking back, I’ve no doubt that at that particular moment, the scene in our living room as we fell about was replicated all over the country. Let’s never forget that this was not a “niche” show aimed at a narrow section of the audience – this was a show everybody in the land watched and loved, and talked about when they got to work or school the morning after the latest episode was shown. Like millions of others, I adored it, and so did everybody I knew. Precious indeed were those days when comedy united people, when not only families sat down together and laughed at the same things, but towns, cities, large parts of the whole country did so. I wish it happened now. We’d all be the better for it. Last of the Summer Wine did that, it brought people together. It was everywhere, thanks to the quality of the writing, production and performances, one of the most perfectly realised of all comedy shows, where concept and execution were in so harmonious a balance that it simply flew with joy, and that joy communicated itself to the folks at home. I do recall in the early 1980s going to a fancy dress party with a couple of mates as Compo, Clegg and Foggy (I was Clegg, simply because one of my pals was taller, and the other one shorter, plus I had a flat cap) and finding that another three blokes had turned up as the immortal trio. Not only that, there were at least two women there dressed as Nora Batty. That’s how it was – everybody knew and loved Summer Wine. It was part of the national psyche and remained so for years and years, so my interest in it was always there, and bound up with happy memories. My mind turned towards telling the story in 2008/9 when it became clear that the BBC was moving towards bringing the series to a close; it was also apparent that time was catching up with the principals, since there was a story in some of the newspapers about Peter Sallis and Frank Thornton being no longer able to go on location to Yorkshire. It seemed to me that the time was right to sit down and set down the story. It also seemed to me that the time was long overdue to raise a cheer for a series that was in the front rank of British sitcoms, but had been rendered rather invisible by its omnipresence. Odd though it sounds, it had been overlooked because it had been part of the landscape for so long. It was taken for granted, and the time was right to say, “Hang on a minute, do you realise what a gem there is right under your noses?” Last of the Summer Wine is right up there with Dad’s Army, Steptoe and Son, The Good Life, Only Fools and Horses, etc, etc. It was time to salute a series that represented the gold standard in what television comedy could achieve.

Re: Andrew Vines Replies to Your Questions Q2

Q2.Did you have to overcome any difficulties when it came to interviewing people involved with the show?

A2.I’m delighted to say that there were no difficulties at all in interviewing people involved with the show. Some I caught up with on location around Holmfirth when the final series was being filmed, others agreed to talk to me at times which were more convenient for them. Without exception, everybody was kind, forthcoming and generous with both their time and recollections.

Re: Andrew Vines Replies to Your Questions Q3

Q3.How easy was it to obtain the source materials for the book? Was the research easy or difficult?

A3.There are always some headaches and hurdles with research; trawling television schedules, viewing figures etc took time and patience. It’s sometimes the case that pinning down tiny little details ends up being really difficult. To give one example – Bill Owen wrote in his autobiography that he appeared in the first British production of The Threepenny Opera. It turned out that this wasn’t the case, and that there had been a production in Britain about 20 years earlier. That took weeks to pin down definitively, even though it ended up as just half a sentence in the background about his professional life long before he became Compo. To its great credit, the BBC was helpful, and there was a lot of very useful material in the corporation’s Written Archives, which are based in Reading. Overall though, I would say that the background research was time-consuming rather than difficult.

Re: Andrew Vines Replies to Your Questions Q4

Q4.Does he know if Roy Clarke was over bothered about the apparent inconsistencies especially in the earlier episodes or is it a case that he never expected the programme to continue as long as it did.
Likewise the inconsistency about Seymour being known in First SW but totally unknown in Last SW?
I suspect that these would be seen as very minor when crafting the story line.

A4.You’re absolutely right in suspecting that “inconsistencies” are very minor in the storylines, and the fact is I never asked Roy about them, simply because I don’t think they matter. It really is of no consequence that on the occasions when we see Foggy’s surname written down (The Man From Oswestry, There Are Gipsies At the Bottom of Our Garden, among them) it is spelt “Dewhurst” and “Dewhirst”, or that the name of Nora’s husband changed between the pilot episode and Wally’s first appearance; nor does it matter that 26 years on from the beginning, in Last Post And Pigeon, it turns out that Compo was evacuated from Dunkirk, or in Surprise At Throstlenest, that Nora was not the only siren who called him. The great thing about comedy is that it is possible to do anything, to shrug off the years, stretch boundaries, to put the characters wherever the writer’s fancy takes him, to create a whole new back-story or set of experiences. When Summer Wine began, Roy had no idea how long it would last; let’s not forget that the show got off to a fairly uncertain start and took a while to settle down, so nobody could possibly have predicted its longevity. Roy’s characters evolved and adapted and did whatever was necessary to satisfy his imagination, so when he fancied inserting Seymour into First of the Summer Wine, he just went ahead and did it. The important things are the laughs and the warmth and the heart, and it’s my belief that those virtues mattered to him above all else.

Re: Andrew Vines Replies to Your Questions Q5

Q5.Does he feel that later episodes became more formulaic with certain set scenes in every episode - something I personally was less sure about -
each episode had the coffee morning, Auntie's shop, the cafe, Wesley's shed and so on.
I think some of the most successful episodes were when the familiar was ditched -
Full Steam Behind or when a guest actor played a chance encounter with a genuine gold plated barmpot.

A5. You know, the thing we all love about sitcoms is familiarity. Think 23 Railway Cuttings, East Cheam, Oildrum Lane, the church hall at Walmington-on-Sea. So I think all sitcoms are formulaic to a degree and that they’re better for being so. It’s my belief that one of the things that made Summer Wine one of the most popular of all sitcoms is that it transported viewers into a different world, a kinder world, and the elements that made that up were the set-pieces, the coffee mornings, Wesley’s shed, Auntie Wainwright’s shop, the cafe. All those locations were part of Summer Wine Land, stops along the way for the viewers, places they felt comfortable and that they knew, places where they also knew they would get a laugh. And, of course, those stops along the way were the places where Roy could showcase the glorious cast that he had at his disposal, give them their special moments. And let’s not forget the necessity to spare the three principals from carrying all the action, especially as the years moved on, so there needed to be places where scenes could take place without them; that’s one of the main reasons the cast expanded, to take the pressure off the three men, but that became a virtue. Roy said that he could hear his cast of characters asking for their turn, their scene, and in giving it to them, he created a show that was, in addition to everything else, a wonderful tapestry of great set-pieces. I appreciate what you say about the unexpected, but it’s there more often than one thinks. Yes, Full Steam Behind, but there are others too. Think Stop That Castle , with its parade through Marsden, think Welcome To Earth, with its charge up to the moors. Guest actors as visiting barmpots were always great, too, and I think one of the reasons the guest appearances always had an impact is that they were used quite sparingly.

Re: Andrew Vines Replies to Your Questions Q6

Q6. On reading his book there is one thing that intrigues me: we know a lot about Bill Owen, Brian Wilde and Michael Bates and their specific preferences and how they did not always see eye to eye.
We even learn something about Michael Aldridge.

However there is one person whose acting background is well documented and yet the persona is little known -
Peter Sallis. On p 117 Mr Vine writes "Sallis could have moods of his own; he had an ego too, and on occasions needled Owen.
" But we do not hear much more about him. It seems he is a very private person. I discovered, recently, for example, he has a son and his wife is still alive and they are married.
Not that I wish to pry but it seems there is a lot to Peter Sallis that we do not know - he tends to point to others in a self effacing way, bit like Clegg (a lot actually).
The comment from Mr Vine is tantalising in that he seems to know more but is holding back - or is this the limit of his knowledge?

A6.I took the view that the personal lives of the people involved in Summer Wine are their own, and only touched on them when they have a direct relevance to the story, for example the decision by Michael Aldridge to leave the show because of his wife’s illness. Besides being a wonderful actor, Peter Sallis is one of the most charming and affable individuals it has ever been my pleasure to meet. I would commend his autobiography, Fading Into The Limelight, for those wishing to know more about him.

Re: Andrew Vines Replies to Your Questions Q7

Q7. How did the cast and crew react to your questions?

A7. Very well, with more kindness, enthusiasm and humour than I had dared to hope. I was touched by the willingness of everybody involved in the show to share their memories and thoughts. Cast and crew alike thoroughly enjoyed being involved in making Summer Wine, and what came across time and again was their immense pride in the show and delight at Roy’s writing. You know, there were people working on that final series who had not been born when the show first aired, and even the youngest shared the tremendous commitment and affection of those who had been involved for decades.

Re: Andrew Vines Replies to Your Questions Q8

Q8. Were there things you were asked not to make public?

A8. Yes, there were, and I was happy to respect confidences. Let me say this, though – there are no dark, deep, dismal secrets!

Re: Andrew Vines Replies to Your Questions Q9

Q9. If the show had continued ,was there anyone Alan JW Bell or Roy Clarke would have loved to have on the show?

A9. I’m sure there were people in mind, though no names were mentioned to me. Alan was always on the lookout for guests and Roy relished writing characters for them. Sadly, we shall never know what might have been.

Re: Andrew Vines Replies to Your Questions Q10

Q10. Roy must have a lot of scripts that never made the screen. Do you think there is any chance he might release them in book form?

A10. I don’t know!

Re: Andrew Vines Replies to Your Questions Q11

Q11. Who was your favourite interviewee?

A11. Now you’re asking me to choose, and I can’t, simply because it would be unfair. So many people showed me such kindness in so many different ways that to pick any individual out would be impossible. The common thread that ran through all the interviews was laughter; there was a great deal of it along the way. Let me say this – above all else, the quality that makes Last of the Summer Wine special is its generosity of spirit. That quality is embodied by the people involved in it, and the willingness with which they shared it shall stay with me always.

Re: Andrew Vines Replies to Your Questions Q12

Q12. Could you ask him please if there are anymore LOTSW books on the horizon.
Also tell him thank you for a brilliant book.

A12. I don’t know if there will be any more books. I know what I would like to happen, because I would be happier than you could guess to do it – that I sit down to write a supplementary chapter for a future edition that records how the repeats became a staple of weekend television and that, surprise, surprise, a front-rank comedy wins a whole new audience as a result. And thank you.

Re: Andrew Vines Replies to Your Questions Q13

Q13. Were you surprised how many hours the Cast & Crew put in while filming,especially with the age of most of the cast

A13. Yes indeed. The days on location especially could be long and demanding. The crew was there before the cast, of course, setting everything up, but the actors put in a lot of hours too. Inevitably during filming there is quite a bit of waiting for things to be ready, and that could be tiring in itself. Also, let’s not forget that even on sunny days in the Pennines, it can sometimes be quite cold and that’s also draining. A lot of time is spent huddled against the breeze in overcoats! Alan always went out of his way to make things as comfortable as possible for everybody, and was very considerate of his more senior players, but even so, those actors put in a lot of work and effort for the audience’s enjoyment.

Re: Andrew Vines Replies to Your Questions Q14

Q14. Did you notice how the whole thing is quietly and beneficently put together for us to view

A14. Yes I did. As I’ve mentioned, a tremendous enthusiasm for the show ran through everybody involved. I don’t think it’s overstating the case to say that Summer Wine was lovingly crafted, all the way from the scripts taking shape to the shots of the countryside in which it was set. The finished article that we see on screen is an example, I think, of the art that conceals art; so expertly and so seamlessly put together that it’s easy to forget the sheer hard work that was put in.

Re: Andrew Vines Replies to Your Questions Q15

Q15. Do you have a favourite filming Location

A15. Yes I do. Intake Lane, up above New Mill, a couple of miles from Holmfirth, where so many scenes were filmed over so many years. It’s a grand spot, right on top of the Pennines, with breathtaking views and a very quiet road where it was possible to unleash all sorts of contraptions.

Re: Andrew Vines Replies to Your Questions Q16

Q16. Do you think given a few years that Holmfirth will see a drop in the amount of visitors it draws in due to the show

A16. I think it’s inevitable that the numbers will drop off now that the show has come to a close, though I think there will be a healthy tourist trade there as a result of Summer Wine for many years to come. In a way, the benefits that Summer Wine gave to the town are permanent and don’t depend solely on the tourist trade. Back in 1973, Holmfirth had its problems; it isn’t like that now, it’s a buzzing, optimistic place. Businesses have been built on the back of the income that the visitors brought, and the good news is that those businesses aren’t reliant just on tourist income. Holmfirth is a lovely place, its people are lovely too, and they and their town deserve every success.

Re: Andrew Vines Replies to Your Questions Q17

Q17. Is there any guest artist you would have liked to have seen in the show

A17. Yes, I always thought it would have been nice to see John Cleese – if he’d have been available – perhaps build on the cameo he did in Welcome to Earth. I also wonder how Spike Milligan might have fared as a gold plated Yorkshire barmpot!

Back