Actors who appeared over the years in different roles

Sarkus

Dedicated Member
Reaction score
I was watching "The Love Mobile" recently and was reminded that Maggie Olrenshaw not only appears in that episode as the woman in the couple with the Love Mobile trailer, but also appeared years earlier as the commodore's girlfriend in "The Flag and Further Snags." And, of course, she was Clegg's mother in First of the Summer Wine.

Which got me to thinking about other actors who similarly appeared more than once and in different roles. Trevor Bannister became a regular as the golf captain, but appeared as a tailor in one episode years earlier.

One of the more interesting examples is that of actress Frances Cox. She first appeared in "Flower Power Cut" in 1977 as the widow Annie. In 1989 she was back as Jessie in "Happy Anniversary Gough and Jessie." Then in 1995 she appeared in "The Suit that Turned Left" as one of the church outing ladies who becomes interested in Clegg when everyone is holding hands near the end of the episode.

I'm sure there are other examples as well.

John Jardine appears quite a few times in different roles.

The Afterthoughts of a Co-op Manager (2005) ... Billy Pilsworth
Brushes at Dawn (1995) ... Billy Chiselhurst
Aladdin Gets on Your Wick (1993) ... Window Shopper
Wheelies (1992) ... Launderette Customer

Does the actor who was Compo's nephew in Pate and Chips
also appear in The New Mobile Trio, or do they just look alike?

Does the actor who was Compo's nephew in Pate and Chips
also appear in The New Mobile Trio, or do they just look alike?

No, they both look a bit similar though. The book by Ross and Bright muddled them up at in some parts as well!

They were played by two now very respected actors, Anthony Haygarth was Chip, and the late Ronald Lacey was Walter.

Jim Bowen. He first appeared as 'man in street' in CRUMBS. In later episodes he is seen playing the bouncer at the library, usually throwing Foggy out.

Paula Tilbrook was a passer-by in Forked Lightning, a barmaid in The Man from Oswestry, and Chuffer's wife in Whoops.

Do Gordon Wharmby and Tom Owen qualify? They both appeared as extras before joining the main cast.

Johnny Allan is in two episodes.

The Frozen Turkey Man (1983) ... Rubik's Cube Man in Pub
Jubilee (1977) ... Director

Tom Owen counts, but Gordon Wharmby only ever appeared as Wesley.

Was he really Wesley when on the bus in that early shot???

Which episode was that? From what I read he was originally brought in for a very small part but they liked him so they decided to keep him for later in a bigger role. IMDB only lists him for Summer Wine in his role as Wesley.

Which episode was that? From what I read he was originally brought in for a very small part but they liked him so they decided to keep him for later in a bigger role. IMDB only lists him for Summer Wine in his role as Wesley.
The episode was Forked Lightning. I'm sure he was also the man washing the car in A Bicycle Made For Three.

The episode was Forked Lightning. I'm sure he was also the man washing the car in A Bicycle Made For Three.

While I see some superficial similarities in apperance with both of those briefly glimpsed extras, I'm not sure how you can be sure either is Gordon Wharmby. The latter is in the same series as Car and Garter and Alan Bell in his book indicates that while he considered Wharmby initially for an extras speaking role in In the Service of Humanity, he held him back because he was strongly considering him for Car and Garter, which was filmed later in the series. I guess we can't rule out that they threw Wharmby in as an extra, though. I'm not sure how you would find out for sure, though.

Here is Gordon in what is supposedly his first role as "second policeman" in Play For Today in 1977. Can't remember anyone like him in Forked Lightning or A Bicycle made for three.
I think that if Gordon had done an earlier role on LOSW, no matter how small the part, it would have been mentioned instead of Car and Garter as being his introduction to the series.

Of course, I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time. ;D

Another example I came across tonight is Peter Hughes, though I suppose he could be considered the same character. In "The Kink in Foggy's Niblick" (1976) he's the golfer who drives up to the club in a Jag and then later abandons the first hole after Compo's interruptions. You later see him in line to buy the balls Compo has nicked. Then in 1983 he returned as Harold in "The Arts of Concealment" as the Land Rover driver with his wife who break down and need the trio to push them up a hill.

Another example I came across tonight is Peter Hughes, though I suppose he could be considered the same character. In "The Kink in Foggy's Niblick" (1976) he's the golfer who drives up to the club in a Jag and then later abandons the first hole after Compo's interruptions. You later see him in line to buy the balls Compo has nicked. Then in 1983 he returned as Harold in "The Arts of Concealment" as the Land Rover driver with his wife who break down and need the trio to push them up a hill.

Good catch, forgot about him.

Yet another example I noticed tonight watching "Going to Gordon's Wedding" (1976). The couple the trio have an uncomfortable moment with while waiting at the house includes John Rutland as the husband. He later sneezes at the wedding. He looked familiar, so I looked him up - turns out he was also Chuffer Enright in "Whoops," the 1981 Christmas special.

I think Gordon appeared as a passenger on a bus then he auditioned for Wesley and then we got the part had a nervious breakdown which everyone helped him overcome.

I think Gordon appeared as a passenger on a bus then he auditioned for Wesley and then we got the part had a nervious breakdown which everyone helped him overcome.

I do think this sums it up. Gordon Wharmby appeared briefly as an uncredited extra (bus passenger in "Forked Lightning") and later appeared as Wesley after audition. It was the thought of playing opposite the great Thora Hird which terrified him into a nervous breakdown.

These multi-part appearances can be found using the complete cast and crew list on IMDb at http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069602/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

That contains every actor with more than two credited appearances and some uncredited.

To be more precise, he appeared as a (smiling) passenger on a bus in Forked Lightning. Some years later he auditioned for a part as 'man on roof' in In the Service of Humanity - but instead of that part was offered the much larger part of Wesley in Car and Garter.

Someone recently said that after Gordon Wharmby died, the absence of Wesley was acknowledged in the show.

Anyone know how? I don't remember that.

Back
Top Bottom