A smeg toaster!

HaHa, that is hilarious. I think my sister has one of those. I will give that a try when I see her in a few weeks. Have you tried it, captain?

update, I did a search and found this Some said it might not work on the US models. Don't know why but the video starts muted for me.

Last edited:
HaHa, that is hilarious. I think my sister has one of those. I will give that a try when I see her in a few weeks. Have you tried it, captain?

update, I did a search and found this Some said it might not work on the US models. Don't know why but the video starts muted for me.
I give up!!! What is it? In plain English please. Thanks.

Haha, Adanor. It is a reference to the British sit-com called Red Dwarf about a wacky AI toaster that constantly asks it's owner if they want toasted bread products. :)

here is a short reference that Alexa speaks.

And here is a longer clip with more context to what is going on.

added another clip

Last edited:
Nice one Rick howdy-doodly-do! Got me thinking, the biggest selling bread products in the UK come from a company called Warburtons and they ran a series of very high profile ads with the biggest stars ever George Clooney , Al Pacino, Robert De Niro , Sylvester Stallone and the perhaps the biggest the Muppets sure they could do something with Talkie Toaster and the boys from the Dwarf .

Last edited:
Rick,

I bit the bullet and sent the mail to Warburtons the reply below wasn't a yes but it also wasn't a no so lets see if they use it and Talkie gets a third on screen performance :)

I think your idea sounds very funny and I will pass it on to our Marketing Team. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee that your idea will be used but we do appreciate you contacting us and will consider all suggestions.

I cannot help but think that if some toaster company could have gotten the OK to build a Talkie-Toaster type model at a reasonable price. That Red Dwarf fans all over the planet would buy them like crazy. Possibly even integrate an Alexa type thing into it for when you need her in the kitchen.

Granted, it may have been better timing to of done this some years ago. Back when the show was still 'on the air' and making new episodes. But then Alexa may not have been as integrated into things as it is today. Oh, well. Wishful thinking on my part. Still a great opportunity at a nostalgia gizmo.

There's something very magical about toasters. I'm watching a quiz show called Super Password, a rerun from the 80's and they have a segment called "Cashword" that uses a device called "The Magic Toaster."

As a huge Reggae fan [amongst other genres of music] "Toasters" have a special place in my record collection . I was first acquainted with them after listening to John Peel's great show on radio many years ago and I was hooked . So artists like Dr Alimantado , Ranking Trevor, I Roy , Eek a Mouse have a firm place in my record collection.

I just realised that it was David Ross who provided one of the voices of Talkie Toaster, bus driver in How not to Cry at Weddings

I cannot help but think that if some toaster company could have gotten the OK to build a Talkie-Toaster type model at a reasonable price. That Red Dwarf fans all over the planet would buy them like crazy. Possibly even integrate an Alexa type thing into it for when you need her in the kitchen.

Granted, it may have been better timing to of done this some years ago. Back when the show was still 'on the air' and making new episodes. But then Alexa may not have been as integrated into things as it is today. Oh, well. Wishful thinking on my part. Still a great opportunity at a nostalgia gizmo.
This guy made his own Talkie

Back