A smeg toaster!

RickAns

Dedicated Member
I recently discovered there is an Italian company that makes appliances by the name of Smeg. Those of you around Europe may already know about this but it was news to me here in the States. As a fan of the show Red Dwarf the word smeg immediately caught my attention. One of the character Dave Lister's favorite words.

The other day I was goofing about looking for Red Dwarf DVD prices on ebay when to my surprise I saw a neat red retro-style toaster for sale with the name SMEG on it. Wow, I thought, I’ll get that and call it Talkie Toaster! Dwarf fans should recall that short lived character, hehe.

All was good till I saw the price… $150 US dollars! That was for a 2 slicer, the 4 slice one was about $200! That was when I looked up the company and saw the terms ‘premium’ and ‘upscale’ used in the description. Turns out they also make blenders, refrigerators and all sorts of appliances.

I’m not cheap, but I don’t eat enough toast products to justify quite that much for getting one anytime soon. Especially since my sub $30 toaster has lasted me a good many years. Maybe when my current toaster decides to call it a day I may think about upgrading to a SMEG toaster. As long as it is not as chatty as the Talkie Toaster of Red Dwarf. Anyone have any experience with appliances of the brand smeg?

Anyway, thought it was humorous and felt like sharing. Maybe someone will get a giggle out of it.

Cheers,
Rick

Rick, we have had the SMEG brand here for many years and it is an upmarket type of product with prices to match.
I too immediately think of the small rouge one whenever I see the name and it always makes me smirk! (Permission to smirk???...may have to anyway!) especially given the origin of that word in the RD world!:08:

Appears that they have appointed a new Chief Executive to the Company , they then sacked the Press Officer as he announced it to the world wide press that the new man was indeed a SMEG HEAD :eek::08: [did I really write that clearly my good taste chip is malfunctioning]

Appears they were also looking to branch out into different aspects of retail . There are plans to move into men's ready made, as opposed to bespoke, suits with a range of these garments to be sold by fashion stores as a sort of franchise under the name "Off the Peg SMEG!" :08:

The word also has connotations with certain unsavoury bodily secretions. At this point I was reminded of Compo repeating back to Uncle Seymour in a posh voice - "Natural secretions".

"The word also has connotations with certain unsavoury bodily secretions. At this point I was reminded of Compo repeating back to Uncle Seymour in a posh voice - "Natural secretions".

To misquote another series...Not also but only!:08:

In the Secret Birthday of Norman Clegg when he dresses up as a woman to escape the reception it is portrayed that no one notices he left however, they did shoot an alternative ending in which he is spotted by Edie , our beloved Thora Hird, and in true upper crust voice fashion, that was her wont , she is heard shouting " Smeg !! Isn't that Norman Clegg in Dreg" :08:

They apparently had a volunteer fire service in Holmfirth during the formative years of Last of the Summer Wine and some of the characters put their best foot forward, including two brothers never seen in the series , and volunteered for service . Collectively they were referred to as " Smeg, Smeg , Norman Clegg , Seymour , Foggy , Sid.":08: :fp:

I recently discovered there is an Italian company that makes appliances by the name of Smeg. Those of you around Europe may already know about this but it was news to me here in the States. As a fan of the show Red Dwarf the word smeg immediately caught my attention. One of the character Dave Lister's favorite words.

The other day I was goofing about looking for Red Dwarf DVD prices on ebay when to my surprise I saw a neat red retro-style toaster for sale with the name SMEG on it. Wow, I thought, I’ll get that and call it Talkie Toaster! Dwarf fans should recall that short lived character, hehe.

All was good till I saw the price… $150 US dollars! That was for a 2 slicer, the 4 slice one was about $200! That was when I looked up the company and saw the terms ‘premium’ and ‘upscale’ used in the description. Turns out they also make blenders, refrigerators and all sorts of appliances.

I’m not cheap, but I don’t eat enough toast products to justify quite that much for getting one anytime soon. Especially since my sub $30 toaster has lasted me a good many years. Maybe when my current toaster decides to call it a day I may think about upgrading to a SMEG toaster. As long as it is not as chatty as the Talkie Toaster of Red Dwarf. Anyone have any experience with appliances of the brand smeg?

Anyway, thought it was humorous and felt like sharing. Maybe someone will get a giggle out of it.

Cheers,
Rick
$200? Smeggin hell

They apparently had a volunteer fire service in Holmfirth during the formative years of Last of the Summer Wine and some of the characters put their best foot forward, including two brothers never seen in the series , and volunteered for service . Collectively they were referred to as " Smeg, Smeg , Norman Clegg , Seymour , Foggy , Sid.":08::fp:
:fp:

Cheers,
Rick
They are using really cute mint green SMEG refrigerators on the Great British Baking Show.

I've seen pictures of them in mint green and it makes me hunger for some mint chocolate chip ice cream. :36:

Back