A Sign in a Local Pub

Of course there are some parents who come to these establishments, get their food and drink, and either are happy and/or relieved that their kids have run off or so far into the suds that they do not notice. But one thing to notice is that with the safety issue thing, that parents must have their kids with them or specifically cared for, and perhaps these establishments are one of the few places where they do not have to be so careful.

We had one in the teachers' lounge that said "Unattended children will be given five double-espressos and a free non-housetrained puppy"....

Evening, its next to the Roman Gardens. If you're walking the walls anti clockwise heading to the East Gate Clock, look to the left as you pass the Roman Gardens and it's there. A 5 minute walk from the river (the Groves) where the hire boats are moored.

Speaking of dogs, the issue here is whether dogs should be permitted in the outdoor eating area. Someone dredged up a regulation written in the dark ages against dogs and it is currently being enforced much to the chagrin of the resident dog. However, this regulation is under review. At issue, is it sanitary for dogs to be permitted in the outside eating area? Should some who are not fond of dogs be able to enjoy dining outside sans dogs? Or should dogs be made welcome in light of the fact that people may choose to eat outside and dogs are (hopefully) on the ground and not slobbering over the food. And how far can a flea jump anyway?

True, Adanor, I've always thought that the dogs must find it most unfair, that they aren't invited to the picnic and yet every ant and creepie-crawlie shows up unannounced and uninvited anyway! I imagine they are beginning to wonder why they even bother to follow the rules....

All the pubs and a few of the other eateries in our village are dog friendly. It's down to the discretion of the owner/landlord if dogs are allowed in certain areas. We stayed in Kirkby Lonsdale the other week and every pub/cafe/restaurant was dog friendly. We have two Jack Russells but usually just stay in the bar area/beer garden with them so as not to upset anyone who isn't a dog lover in the indoor dining areas.

I absolutely love dogs but unfortunately they don't like me, not in a bitey/barky way but unfortunately from an allergy perspective . If I find myself in an enclosed space with a dog present my eyes start to water , my chest tightens and I struggle to breath . In essence I have to leave , I have had to get off a bus several times when people take their dogs on . I have been to see bands at a local pub and had to sit an listen to the band in the garden .I use antihistamine tablets and an inhaler to overcome , the attack doesn't last long its just inconvenient . The increase of dog friendly establishments must be impacting on people like myself however, I would not support a return to dogs not being allowed in establishments .

The issue at hand was only about allowing dogs in the garden or general outside area of pubs and/or restaurants. The only place that has an across-the-board policy of permitting dogs in establishments is Old Town Alexandria, Virginia, USA.

Back