A scary thought

Sarkus

Dedicated Member
I was thinking the other day about how they would update Last of the Summer Wine if they restarted it today. And one thing I realized is that if they started like the original did with the actors (and the characters they are playing) are about 50, it would be people born in the late 1960s/early 1970s. Which is my age! Obviously the show would be totally different just based on the generational differences, which is one of the issues they had to tackle when they tried bringing in Hobbo as the central character at the end of the run.

An interesting idea. Would they be able to get up to some of the mischief that was so prevalent in the series with Health and Safety nowadays?. I would hate to see the 'dangerous' antics being reduced to being filmed in front of a 'Green Screen' as it can be so obvious that it is a studio shot.

Here is food for thought.

Barry could be one of the trio with Alvin and Hobbo.
Tom running 'Auntie Wainwrights'.

I can't think of anything else at the moment.

On our Facebook groups this subject comes up on a regular basis. It's been known to cause several arguments, the general oppinion is "No " don't do it but others make suggestions with actors they'ed recommend to play the main parts, that's where it goes down hill and admin have sleepless nights. Some of the suggestions are horrifying. Steve Coogan as been mentioned, which gave me nightmares. Then the Americans join in and we're off to the races because they're like to see an American version.

I honestly think it should be left alone now, health and safety would ruin most of it and what was left would be devoured by the race relations commity and sex equality act.

A green screen could never replace the real landscape that draws so many to it, it would also prove to expensive to do. I'm firmly in the " hell no leave it alone " camp because you can't recreate perfect.

... health and safety would ruin most of it and what was left would be devoured by the race relations commity and sex equality act.
What a mine field it would be....
But you could say that about much of the 60/70's British comedy wouldnt get a .1% look in with the PC world we now are forced to live in. :( I dont like the way its going, but theres nothing anyone can do.. people wake up and look for things to be offended by.

I'm firmly in the " hell no leave it alone " camp because you can't recreate perfect.
agree.... there have never been really many successful remakes/rebirths.

Bruce, I totally agree, the banning of Baby Its Cold Outside by a radio station makes the whole feminist movement a huge joke, I imagine it was one butthurt complaining. People have absolutely no sense of humour anymore. The times of " if you don't like it walk away " have gone.

Last edited:
Providers with no "public" responsibilities don't have to worry about what is politically incorrect and have been known to take some chances. I think it could be done, not as a remake but more of a re-start with a modern take. Bell and Clarke wanted to do that but were constrained by the BBC to some degree. Of course, a modern version would be a totally different show so I'm not saying they should re-start or reboot Last of the Summer Wine per se. More of a modern updated version of the idea of what older folks would be up in roughly similar situations.

I haven't watched it, but there is a show on Fox Network (US) this season called "The Cool Kids" that seems to be a variant on Summerwine. It stars several veteran comic actors as characters living in a retirement community and the marketing suggests their immaturity is part of the humor of it. It's built around a trio of men who have their routine disrupted by an new female resident.

I guess you could say Still Game is Summer Wine-esque , old Guys and Isa dealing with everyday life in an urban setting just without the Scenery.

I have seen a couple of episodes of "The Cool Kids". It is not BAD but doesn't have the "feel" of our show.
It is very restricted in it's sets, all being "inside" studio shots (On the shows I have seen anyway) and it is a bog standard
American sitcom to my mind. Basically 1 dimensional characters with no real chemistry between them. Funny in places but the setups are so
obvious you can see the punch lines coming a mile away.

So having said that, with my track record it will probably win a ton of awards!:fp:

I'd prefer to just move up there with my gang of mates and wander the countryside like the old trio did. We'd make lots of witty jokes but nobody else would ever hear them.
But maybe that would be a good thing ?
Of course, we'd need a Marina hanging around with us.

Last edited:
I'd prefer to just move up there with my gang of mates and wander the countryside like the old trio did. We'd make lots of witty jokes but nobody else would ever hear them. Maybe that would be a good thing ?
that right there is a heavenly dream to me !!!! Thats what I would like to think would happen...

I've recently been in contact with a mate who I havent heard from in 20 yrs and in a week have had about 10 phone calls...
And another bloke who is actually the first bloke I remember apart from my parents... we've known each other since before we went to school who is a mutual mate!
We used to do lots together having grown up in a town where Capt Cook landed a few years back, with a population of round 1000. :)

I'd love to think of the 3 of us being like that.. that's my dream final years. Dunno about theirs, they both love really cold weather... Im not a fan LOL!

Not only Classical authors like Shakespeare attracted prevalent actors at the top of their profession , look no further than Ernie Wise and " the plays wot he wrote"

Back