A Restorative Opportunity

DrewTheWino

A have an odd scheme in mind... because I need something to do now that the festival is over!

Over the weekend, a friend very kindly gifted my a reel of Super16mm film featuring scenes from the Last of the Summer Wine episode "How to Create a Monster" (1997).

346170756_1609230866240114_2903587347459853890_n.jpeg

Yes, I know the above film can says it is episode two, but I've checked the film itself and it is definitely "How To Create A Monster"!

Thanks to my contacts within the industry, I have the opportunity to have this digitally scanned in 4k resolution. This would mean scenes from the episode could be seen in full widescreen and in full HD for the first time ever.

For copyright reasons, this could not be widely shared, but as an act of preservation I think it is worth doing and if anybody here would be interested in joining the cause then feel free to privately message me on here. The admins can hopefully vouch for my credibility!

The cost of the scan would be around £130 and anyone who would like to contribute towards making it happen would receive private access to the results. Taster clips would be shared in public. So far, we have received pledges for around £85 of the cost.

It's a daft idea, but isn't that what being a Last of the Summer Wine fan is all about?

What a great boon to come across. I'd be happy to chip in to help cover the cost. The scan price seems incredibly reasonable. Not a daft idea at all.

Sending ya a message.
Rick

I can vouch for Drew, as one half of the Ant & Dec of Summer Wine, the Winos!

I think this is an amazing opportunity, I'll certainly chip in too and I would really encourage everyone to try and support this in anyway they can. Drew how do we contribute are you going to have a crowd funding thingy or do we transfer funds directly to you?

I have agreed to chip in, if nothing else it would be interesting to see how a scanned 16mm film to UHD/4K evolves, just let us know how and when you need the money Drew

I can vouch for Drew, as one half of the Ant & Dec of Summer Wine, the Winos!

I think this is an amazing opportunity, I'll certainly chip in too and I would really encourage everyone to try and support this in anyway they can. Drew how do we contribute are you going to have a crowd funding thingy or do we transfer funds directly to you?

I think it'll keep things simpler if we do a direct fund transfer. I'll provide everybody with invoices and receipts so they know where the money is going. I also wont ask for payment until enough people have come forward to offer support.

As it stands, we now have just over £100 in pledges, which is encouraging!

I think we can manage a whip-round for that remaining bit. As long as we do not dip into Tony's tea & biscuit fund. :eek2:

Excuse my ignorance, but what might be actually on the film?

Are there likely to be unused scenes that don't appear in the programme?

To be perfectly frank, we simply don't know. These came to us without much information attached. We know they are edited scenes. They may be scenes from the final edited episode. They may be the scenes without music, effects, or laughter. All I know for sure is the episode as I was able to hold an episode up the the light and identify it. The only way to know for sure is to have it scanned.

This is really cool and if I had the money, I would definitely chip in, but I have like $37 to my name and no idea when I'll get more. Lol I hope this idea works out tho! It would be really cool for you guys to make it happen!

I'm happy to say we've hit the target and I've made an appointment to meet with the scanning company in the week of the 12th, so I'll be in touch with everybody who has signed up nearer the time.

If anybody still wants to sign up or in the unlikely event we end up with a surplus, I can reveal that I have been offered access to a SECOND reel of film to scan. This time I really do have no idea what is contained as other than the Last of the Summer Wine title it is unlabelled. It is, however, likely to be from the same series. I suggest we get the reel I already have here done and then see what we can do after!

The scan will be in our hands next week. But for now, here is a comparison between the DVD (top) and the film (bottom). Note just how much extra information there is around the sides of the frame, plus the DVD version seems to have been vertically stretched somewhat. The colours are also a little more natural.

If you're still interested in chipping in, it isn't too late. Just send me a private forum message.

sw_s1c-png.6304
Screenshot 2023-07-06 at 19.27.22.jpg

Attachments

• SW_S1c.png
    SW_S1c.png
    509.8 KB · Views: 20
Back